From: x@x.x (x)
Subject: Re: Ada-like language
Date: 1999/04/19
Date: 1999-04-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <19990417221639.10903.00002108@ng03.aol.com>, tconiam@aol.com (TConiam) wrote:
>>I think Oracle (the DB company) made a language (PSQL?) that is based on
>>Ada. I'm not sure though...
>>

>Yes, Oracle has PL/SQL which is based on Ada and has SQL like extensions
>including facilities to loop on the results of a SELECT as well as all the DDL,
>and DML.  It even includes exception handling for database events.
>
>It is used for programming database triggers (event handling) and for general
>purpose database scripts.
>
>I have even written a crude message parser in it.

If I could add something to this...

PL/SQL does share a lot of syntax with Ada (even packages and block
structure), but the similarity ends there.  Where Ada is a very strongly typed
language, PL/SQL is a (very) weakly typed language.  You can assign just about
anything to anything else and freely mix and match types in expressions with
nary a complaint from the 'compiler'.

That has bitten me more times than I care to admit.  It's too bad Oracle
didn't implement the philosophy of Ada along with the syntax.