* Calling EXEs from ADA95
@ 2000-03-21  0:00 SoVieTiK
From: SoVieTiK @ 2000-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone tell me how to call a executable (DOS) from
ada?

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

* Re: Calling EXEs from ADA95
@ 2000-03-23  0:00 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-03-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Can someone tell me how to call a executable (DOS) from ada?
  16 bit MSDOS from 16 bit MSDOS?  32 bit from 32 bit?  16 bit
or 32 bit DOS from Windows 3.1, or Windows 95, or Windows 2000?
One machine starting a program on a separate machine connected
over a network?  Using which vendor's custom Ada library?
  Since you can't call DOS executables on IBM mainframes, or in
a pocket GSM system, there clearly can't be a standard way to do
it across all vendor's Ada systems on all target systems.  So
you'll have to be more specific about what you want.

* Re: Calling EXEs from ADA95
@ 2000-03-23  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2000-03-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SoVieTiK <r.lmejiaNOr.SPAM@unitec.edu.invalid> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me how to call a executable (DOS) from
> ada?
In general, you can execute a shell command from an
Ada executable by means of an interface to the "system"
function from the C runtime library.

Here is a library-level procedure that does just that

with Interfaces.C;
function Execute_Shell_Command (The_Command_String : String)
      return Interfaces.C.Int is
   package C renames Interfaces.C;
   function System (S : C.Char_Array) return C.Int;
   pragma Import (C, System, "system");
begin
   return System (C.To_C (The_Command_String));
end Execute_Shell_Command;