* GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-18 18:12 Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-05-18 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

New look 'libre gnat' site is previewing the soon to be released GNAT
GPL 2009 - including Mac OS X support!!!! :-)

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-18 20:31 ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-05-18 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Different, but still have a few problems.
   1. After loging in, the site should go directly to the download area, but you
still have to click a secondary link.
   2. A "log off" link needs to be added to the top of all pages once a person
is logged in. Because most people will not go back to the "log-in" page just
to log out of the site. And that causes a site to become insure.

@ 2009-05-18 20:45   ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2009-05-18 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

anon schrieb:
> Different, but still have a few problems.
>    1. After loging in, the site should go directly to the download area, but you
> still have to click a secondary link.
>    2. A "log off" link needs to be added to the top of all pages once a person
> is logged in. Because most people will not go back to the "log-in" page just
> to log out of the site. And that causes a site to become insure.

Tell them, not us.

Albrecht

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-18 21:45 ` lanceboyle
From: lanceboyle @ 2009-05-18 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 18, 11:12 am, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> - including Mac OS X support!!!! :-)

What does this mean? That a GNAT Pro contract can include OS X
support? Does it mean anything for GPL users other than a possibly
longer-lived product as indicated by explicit (paid?) support?

The page
http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/gnat-gpl-edition-2009-preview/
mentions "Availability on the Mac OS X (64 bit) platform." I wonder if
that means only 64-bit systems? And a dumb question--is my new MacBook
Pro a "64-bit platform"?

Jerry

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-18 21:49   ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2009-05-18 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 May 2009 17:45:31 -0400, lanceboyle@qwest.net
<lanceboyle@qwest.net> wrote:

> The page
> http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/gnat-gpl-edition-2009-preview/
> mentions "Availability on the Mac OS X (64 bit) platform." I wonder if
> that means only 64-bit systems? And a dumb question--is my new MacBook
> Pro a "64-bit platform"?

Don't know about your MacBook, but yeah, it's only for 64 bit processors.

- Ed

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-18 22:17   ` roderick.chapman
From: roderick.chapman @ 2009-05-18 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 18, 10:45 pm, "lancebo...@qwest.net" <lancebo...@qwest.net>
wrote:

> What does this mean? That a GNAT Pro contract can include OS X
> support?

Yup - AdaCore's web-site clearly lists 64-bit OS X as a supported
platform for GNAT Pro.  We've had it for some time and it works fine.

"64-bit" means the compiler generates 64-bit binaries, so you
need a processor that supports x86_64 mode. In short - any recent Mac
that can run OS X Leopard should be fine.

 - Rod, SPARK Team

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-18 23:31   ` Kevin K
From: Kevin K @ 2009-05-18 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 1214 bytes --]

On Mon, 18 May 2009 21:45:31 UTC, "lanceboyle@qwest.net"
<lanceboyle@qwest.net> wrote:

> On May 18, 11:12�am, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > - including Mac OS X support!!!! :-)
>
> What does this mean? That a GNAT Pro contract can include OS X
> support? Does it mean anything for GPL users other than a possibly
> longer-lived product as indicated by explicit (paid?) support?
>
> The page
> http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/gnat-gpl-edition-2009-preview/
> mentions "Availability on the Mac OS X (64 bit) platform." I wonder if
> that means only 64-bit systems? And a dumb question--is my new MacBook
> Pro a "64-bit platform"?
>
> Jerry

GNAT has supported OSX for some time now.  It is just that for the
last several years, the GPL version open to the public hasn't included
it.  I think that academic users could get it.  You could also get it
through GNAT Pro, but you had to pay for it specifically.

I guess Adacore is assuming that there isn't too many Intel Core Duos
and Solos Macs out in the wild anymore.  Apparently the 64 bit capable
Intel chips were not available for Apple in the form factors they
wanted when they went Intel (low power for laptops, etc).

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-19 10:14     ` Robert Matthews
From: Robert Matthews @ 2009-05-19 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Albrecht Käfer wrote:

> anon schrieb:
>> Different, but still have a few problems.
>>    1. After loging in, the site should go directly to the download area,
>>    but you
>> still have to click a secondary link.
>>    2. A "log off" link needs to be added to the top of all pages once a
>>    person
>> is logged in. Because most people will not go back to the "log-in" page
>> just to log out of the site. And that causes a site to become insure.
>
> Tell them, not us.
>

> Albrecht

...via the 'Contact' area on the libre site:

http://libre.adacore.com/libre/contact/

- a facility that is nice to see!

Incidentally, I had been accessing the libre site via:

http://libre.act-europe.fr/

but that now takes you to Adacore's main site.

Robert

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-19 12:55       ` Thomas Quinot
From: Thomas Quinot @ 2009-05-19 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Matthews wrote:

> Incidentally, I had been accessing the libre site via:
> http://libre.act-europe.fr/
> but that now takes you to Adacore's main site.

Hmmm, that was an unintended side effect, and we have now fixed our
systems so that libre.act-europe.fr redirects to libre.adacore.com as
one would expect.

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009 preview
@ 2009-05-19 20:15     ` sjw
From: sjw @ 2009-05-19 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 18, 10:49 pm, "Ed Falis" <fa...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 17:45:31 -0400, lancebo...@qwest.net
>
> <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
> > The page
> >http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/gnat-gpl-edition-2009-preview/
> > mentions "Availability on the Mac OS X (64 bit) platform." I wonder if
> > that means only 64-bit systems? And a dumb question--is my new MacBook
> > Pro a "64-bit platform"?
>
> Don't know about your MacBook, but yeah, it's only for 64 bit processors.

Interesting. GCC 4.3.3 seems to be able to build as i386-apple-
darwin9.6.0 and run just fine .. of course I don't have access to
AdaCore's test suite.