From: khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup)
Subject: Re: Multitude of Problems
Date: 21 May 91 02:45:09 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991May20.015647.4051@grebyn.com> ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:

      Currently, to create and mature an Ada compiler, it takes from
      3..5 years.  For the new architectures of the future and rapid
      compiler development, the language needs to be expressed in terms
      that are easy to parse and to generate code.

      The definition should be revamped so that the grammar in Ada to
      conform to LR(m,n) for consistent/complete parsing rules -- the
      most efficient and accurate compiler techniques.  Move more
      semantics to the grammar specification to rid the language
      definition of so many special cases.

This is a silly compliant. Very few people rewrite front ends for new
machines. We typically have compilers (for all languages) structured
along the following lines:

	front end

	optimizer

     code generator

Sometimes it is more complex. the optimizer is nominally optional; or
can be stuck in the front or back end. When moving to a new machine
the code generator must be changed. For exotic machines perhaps the
optimizer may need work. For truly deranged machines, you may need a
new front end (to accomodate a totally new language).

I am not an Ada fan, but I don't oppose it either. Why must we rant
against all that we don't like, as if its continued existance is a
plague sure to doom us all ?

Keith H. Bierman    keith.bierman@Sun.COM| khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043