From: Caffeine Junky <nospam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Graphics with ADA ?
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 23:08:25 GMT
Date: 2002-08-05T23:08:25+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 04 Aug 2002 15:50:03 -0400, Jim wrote:

> i want to have a go programming a game for ADA, except i dont know how
> to use graphics, i know ADA isnt the best language for games, but its
> the only language i know unfortunately.
>
> does anyone know where to get tutortials for graphics ?

I use to think this also. However my understanding and skills with the
Ada language have mushroomed recently(hence my lack of posting questions
to comp.lang.ada) and as a result I have discovered that Ada is in fact
an excellent tool for programming games. I'm finding in particular that
Ada is very well suited for doing simulations and games where "game
physics" is a significant concern.

Generally I leave the details of actually drawing the graphics to the
screen up to external libraries, mostly because my skills in that
particular area are rather weak at the moment. I do everything else in
Ada95 though.(Such as maintaining a player database, doing the various
calculations and tests, memory managment, etc...).

However, due to Ada95's "streamlined" use of Boolean, Machine, and
Storage_Pool types, I dont see graphics as being a particularly difficult
hurdle. After all, it's often used to create flight simulators.

This is just an opinion. I have never used Ada in a professional context, so I
cant really claim to have an authoritative opinion. However from a
hobbyist standpoint, it's very effective.

My .02 for what it's worth.(bad pun?)

St4pL3