* Re: Compilation on Vax with script files
       [not found] <1151930575.129180.284470@j8g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-07-03 14:15 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2006-07-03 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1151930575.129180.284470@j8g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Chris L" <clusardi2k@aol.com> writes:

> Are there any script files that commonly compile large programs? Do you
> have an example?

The only Ada compiler I know of for VAX is VAX/DEC/Compaq/HP Ada.
As an Ada 83 compiler it includes the Ada Compilation System,
abbreviated as ACS.

Use a wildcard loop to compile all your source with the command

	ADA/SYNTAX <filespec>

and then compile the whole thing with

	ACS COMPILE *

@ 2006-07-03 14:22 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2006-07-03 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L:

> Are there any script files that commonly compile large programs? Do you
> have an example?

Trying to remember my programming experience on VMS - 6 years ago...
So, IIRC, you have to
1/ create a library (once) and set it (each session),
    must be "acs lib create", "acs lib set"
2/ (once) compile each file (say xyz.ada) of your project with "ada
xyz.ada";
    this should include it into the library, or else there is an ACS
command for that
3/ each time you want to recompile something (unit uvw), "acs comp uvw"
does
    the job, with recompilations of depending units when necessary.

Of course the "help" command, from prompt or from acs, will help you...

HTH, Gautier
Ada programming -- http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: Compilation on Vax with script files
@ 2006-07-03 23:54   ` Srini
From: Srini @ 2006-07-03 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

my recollection is :

acs load *.ada
acs recompile *

was quite convenient.

HTH.

@ 2006-07-04  6:19 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-04  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris L wrote:

> Are there any script files that commonly compile large programs? Do you
> have an example?

You mean VAX - which implies DecAda - and not a more modern OpenVMS?

For compiling you won't need that much scripting. DecAda - like most
Ada's handle dependencies automaticly so compile is just:

acs load *.ada
acs compile *
acs link Main.ada

However on large systems you might want to break sources down into
several libraries - in which case you also need

acs merge /Keep *

and you should create your libraries with

acs create library /Large

For all commands you get extra help with

help acs create library /Large

But I guess you know that allready. And from there it is just a matter
of a few dcl or mms scripts. And to answer your questions: There are no
common files - the (dcl) scripts I use are highly specific and won't
help you.

Martin

* Re: Compilation on Vax with script files
@ 2006-07-04  7:57   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-07-04  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 23:19 -0700, Martin Krischik wrote:

> For compiling you won't need that much scripting. DecAda - like most
> Ada's handle dependencies automaticly so compile is just:

Can I add to the wikibook wishlist then that
the explanations of VAX Ada are collected into a page,
by someone who knows the system? Seeing a compilation system
that really has commands for creating and manipulating libraries
teaches (me, at least) that the phrase "put that unit into the
library" is more than implicit, and not a formal fantasy.

This also has some brief explanations,
http://loki.stockton.edu/~kirchm/csmath/pollux/ada_guide.htm

-- Georg

* Re: Compilation on Vax with script files
@ 2006-07-05 17:52     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-05 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 23:19 -0700, Martin Krischik wrote:
>

>> For compiling you won't need that much scripting. DecAda - like most
>> Ada's handle dependencies automaticly so compile is just:
>

> Can I add to the wikibook wishlist then that
> the explanations of VAX Ada are collected into a page,
> by someone who knows the system?

Done

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Building#DecAda_for_VMS

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: Compilation on Vax with script files
@ 2006-07-05 19:03     ` Charlie McCutcheon
From: Charlie McCutcheon @ 2006-07-05 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> acs load *.ada
> acs recompile *

That's what I'd use for multiple source compilation.

The recompile command will figure out the order of compilation units to
compile.

Is this what Chris L is looking for?

Charlie

* Re: Compilation on Vax with script files
@ 2006-07-07 13:29       ` Charlie McCutcheon
From: Charlie McCutcheon @ 2006-07-07 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

>http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Building#DecAda_for_VMS

Looks good.

Nits:
 - "DecAda" was called "DEC Ada"
 - Its now "HP Ada"

If users do searches to find this, it might help to have the correct names
with spaces in the product.

Hasn't been caled VAX Ada in many years...

* Re: Compilation on Vax with script files
@ 2006-07-09 15:13         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-07-09 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charlie McCutcheon wrote:

>>http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Building#DecAda_for_VMS
>
> Looks good.
>
> Nits:
>  - "DecAda" was called "DEC Ada"
>  - Its now "HP Ada"
>
> If users do searches to find this, it might help to have the correct names
> with spaces in the product.

Some unnamed user pointed that out and it is all corrected now mentioning
all names.

> Hasn't been caled VAX Ada in many years...

Well I work with DEC Ada every day  and I did not know that it is called HP
Ada nowadays. Everbody on the project calls it DEC Ada - as opposed to GNAT
the other compiler we use.

Martin

PS:
--

@ 2006-07-27 14:28           ` Charlie McCutcheon
From: Charlie McCutcheon @ 2006-07-27 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well I work with DEC Ada every day  and I did not know that it is called
> HP
> Ada nowadays. Everbody on the project calls it DEC Ada - as opposed to
> GNAT
> the other compiler we use.

Hardcopy documentation will say DEC Ada.

Officially its been rebranded to HP Ada (was Compaq Ada).