From: Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: improved type checking mafr Java popular, why not Ada also?
Date: 2000/08/05
Date: 2000-08-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <8mfjf0$2erb@drn.newsguy.com>, nabbasi@pacbell.net.NOSAPAM writes:
> I thought the Ada programmers will get a kick out of this statment,
> makes one wonder why it worked for Java and not for Ada?
>
> http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/harold/papers/javaspae.html
>
> "A critique of Java
>
> Harold Thimbleby
> Middlesex University

> Java has become very popular largely because its
> of its improved type checking, its run time array
> bound checks, and its removal of explicit
> pointers: all these improvements can be understood
> as converting traps in C and C++ into barriers in
> Java: thus helping programmers write more robust programs... "

I do not think that has much to do with Java publicity.
I think Java has become very popular because of the use
of the byte code engine in web browsers.

I rarely encounter anyone actually compiling Java to object code,
and I often encounter people who use Java but have never thought
about the possibility of compiling to object code.