* Working with GNAT Ada
@ 1997-10-02  0:00 James H. Robinson, III
From: James H. Robinson, III @ 1997-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I typed the following code from my textbook into GNAT Ada 95:

-- Precompiled instantiations of Integer_IO and
-- Float_IO for the predefined Integer and Float types

WITH Text_IO;
PACKAGE My-Int-_IO IS
	 NEW Text_IO.Integer_IO (Num => Integer);

WITH Text_IO;
PACKAGE My_Flt_IO IS
	NEW Text_IO.Float_IO (Num =>);

When I tried to compile this code, I received many error messages such as
my needing and END statement and my needing declarations.  I don't have a
clue what's going wrong.  Is this due to a difference between Ada83 and
Ada95?  The problem is, I can't do any of the other examples in Chapter 2
until I get this instantiation working.

* Re: Working with GNAT Ada
@ 1997-10-02  0:00 ` Jon S Anthony
From: Jon S Anthony @ 1997-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

            ^---^--------- should be '_'
> 	 NEW Text_IO.Integer_IO (Num => Integer);
>
> WITH Text_IO;
> PACKAGE My_Flt_IO IS
> 	NEW Text_IO.Float_IO (Num =>);
>

> When I tried to compile this code, I received many error messages such as
> my needing and END statement and my needing declarations.

Hyphens are not legal characters in identifiers in Ada.  You been
hackin' Lisp recently? :-)

Works fine if you fix the syntax errors.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
STL, Belmont, MA 02178, 617.484.3383