From: jsa@alexandria (Jon S Anthony)
Subject: Re: q: pkg for network/UNIX programming; system dependencies
Date: 1997/05/30
Date: 1997-05-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <tx1bu5ttzs3.fsf@cygnus.com> Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> I'm thinking about working on a couple small spare-time UNIX projects in
> Ada95 to help familiarize myself with the language.  Most such projects
> I'm considering right now make use of networking, both TCP and UDP.

Why not use GLADE or ADEPT?  Both of these work with GNAT and give you
full distributed object style capabilities (per the DSA of Ada95).
ADEPT also gives you RMI interaction.

ADEPT: http://www.cs.tamu.edu/research/ADEPT/

GLADE: ftp.gnat.com:pub/gnat

> Oh and a general question: How do you usually deal with OS or
> it's disabled.  In C and UNIX, I'd use #ifdef and maybe an
> autoconf-generated script to test the system characteristics and
> user-provided options, and define some macros for conditional
> compilation.

You can just use this same technique if you want.  Just make sure you
run the result through the Ada compiler and not C compiler!

> The conditionally-compiled region can be very small.  Of course, there
> are times when it's large, and when it seems worthwhile to use a separate
> source file.  But there are times when it isn't and it doesn't....

Actually, using child packages, _separate_, and search lists, IMO this
really works out much better than conditional compilation.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.