From: jsa@alexandria.organon.com (Jon S Anthony)
Subject: Re: Which compiler is correct?
Date: 1997/06/20
Date: 1997-06-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <x7vyb86jpr2.fsf@pogner.demon.co.uk> Simon Wright <simon@pogner.demon.co.uk> writes:

> bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff) writes:
>
> > Compiler O is correct.  The inherited i component of type y is
> > implicitly declared within the private part of a.b.  Since a.c cannot
> > see this implicit declaration, the i component of z is never implicitly
> > declared (although it still exists at run time, and you can get at it by
> > doing "x(two).i").
>
> a.c's body can see the full view of type a.x
> a.c's body can only see the partial view of type a.b.y
> the partial view of type a.b.y says it's a new a.x
> so how come the a.x bits of a.b.y aren't visible to a.c's body?

I believe this is due to the "fact" (from 7.3.1(3)) that the only
characteristics used from the parent of x for y _at its declaration_
are those visible _at that point_.  The i component of the parent x is
not visible until the full declaration in the private portion and it
is only at that point that the implicit declaration for y's i
component can take place.  So, the declaration of y visible to a.c
does not have the implicit declaration of x's i component.

Why this is, I do not know.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony