From: jsa@alexandria.organon.com (Jon S Anthony)
Subject: Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
Date: 1997/07/24
Date: 1997-07-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <33D46BFC.4516@cci.de> Andrew Lynch <lynch@cci.de> writes:

> we have just started investigating CORBA as a link between (possibly
> multiple) Ada servers on Unix and Java clients. Unfortunately the
> only product available for Ada appears to be IONA's Orbix. At the
> CUC'97 in Munich a number of people told me it was hardly worth
> considering (too buggy, too incomplete etc.). Also the Ada Orbix is
> still based on the old CORBA standard, whereas all Java ORBs are
> already CORBA 2.0 - ugh.

Bad information.  Orbix supports CORBA 2.0 and Orbix for Ada uses this
version of the ORB.  This is not news.  It's been this way for some
time.

Secondly, OC Systems has an Ada ORB capability for DSOM.

Third, Orbix (while having problems) is probably better overall than
most other available ORBs (irrespective of Ada).

> Has anyone had any experience with Orbix/Ada? Does it work? Is it
> usable? Are there any plans to catch up with CORBA 2.0?

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  Been there done that (a while ago...)

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
OMI, Belmont, MA 02178