* C++ To Ada95 Translator
@ 1997-07-22  0:00 Brian G. Holmes
From: Brian G. Holmes @ 1997-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada95 Software Professionals:

I have created a C++ to Ada95 automatic translator for a conversion
effort here at GTE Government Systems Corporation.  The translator is
considered a tool to support manual translation.  The conversion effort
is in its infancy, but the translator is nearly complete (based on a
cost effective level of effort).

Further information may be found at
http://home1.gte.net/holmeses/cpp2anf/index.htm.

To increase the level of interest within GTE GSC - to increase the level
of effort considered cost effective - I would like to get a feel for the
level of interest in the rest of the professional community, and thus I
write to you.  If I were to present my work at a conference, which one
would you recommend?  Is anyone else planning a C++ to Ada95 conversion
effort?

Thank you for your input.

Brian G. Holmes
GTE Government Systems Corporation
400 Park Plaza, Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com
919-549-1143 (voice mail)
919-549-1299 (fax)

* Re: C++ To Ada95 Translator
@ 1997-07-22  0:00 ` Ken Mays
From: Ken Mays @ 1997-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Brian,

There are other commercial companies that have made translators (I think
its DCI) from C++ to Ada95 and from other languages. I'm interested if
yours is for shareware/freeware purposes or commercial.

Ken

In article <33D4EEB6.6D2B@gsc.gte.com>, brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com says...
> Ada95 Software Professionals:
>
> I have created a C++ to Ada95 automatic translator for a conversion
> effort here at GTE Government Systems Corporation.  The translator is
> considered a tool to support manual translation.  The conversion effort
> is in its infancy, but the translator is nearly complete (based on a
> cost effective level of effort).

* C++ to Ada95 Translator
@ 1997-07-22  0:00 Brian G. Holmes
From: Brian G. Holmes @ 1997-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Send compilers articles to compilers@iecc.com,
meta-mail to compilers-request@iecc.com.

* Re: C++ To Ada95 Translator
@ 1997-07-23  0:00     ` Brian G. Holmes
From: Brian G. Holmes @ 1997-07-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Ken asks
>
> <<... I'm interested if
> yours is for shareware/freeware purposes or commercial.
> >>

> And another interesting (and completely orthogonal) question is
> whether you plan to make it free software or not.

The cpp2anf translator was created for use by the company I work for on
a conversion effort that is also funded entirely by them.  When they
think of the tool, they do not think of the hundreds of thousands of
dollars that it _may_ save them, but rather they think of the tens of
thousands of dollars that they have already spent on it.  I am asked,
�can we recuperate any of the money that we have spent on that thing?�
As such, they are (currently) more interested in the commercial aspects
of the tool than the less obvious advantages of releasing it under the
GPL.

I would like to share/present my experiences with development of a
conversion plan, and implementation of a translation tool in a
conference environment, and I would also like to continue my work on the
translation tool.  The translator is already a useful tool, but most of
its limitations could be at least partially overcome.

We would like to offer our services to anyone else who is involved in a
C++ to Ada95 conversion effort.  We feel that we can be of help because
we have a conversion plan, and a tool that supports it.

Brian G. Holmes
brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com

* Re: C++ To Ada95 Translator
@ 1997-07-23  0:00       ` Jon S Anthony
From: Jon S Anthony @ 1997-07-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <33D619C8.7208@gsc.gte.com> "Brian G. Holmes" <brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com> writes:

> The cpp2anf translator was created for use by the company I work for on
> a conversion effort that is also funded entirely by them.  When they
> think of the tool, they do not think of the hundreds of thousands of
> dollars that it _may_ save them, but rather they think of the tens of
> thousands of dollars that they have already spent on it.  I am asked,
> �can we recuperate any of the money that we have spent on that thing?�
> As such, they are (currently) more interested in the commercial aspects
> of the tool than the less obvious advantages of releasing it under the
> GPL.

Well, I think it will depend on the price.  If you offered this for
"not a lot" of money (admittedly vague phrase), I believe you will
find quite a few takers.  I know some folk who have talked about doing
such a conversion, but it is the upfront cost that disuades them (just
like your employer worrying about the upfront cost of cpp2anf).  They
feel as if they are trapped.  If this thing was in the "megabuck"
range, I'm sure they would continue to feel that way.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
OMI, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: C++ To Ada95 Translator
@ 1997-07-23  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-07-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken asks

@ 1997-07-24  0:00         ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 1997-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon S Anthony (jsa@alexandria.organon.com) wrote:
> In article <33D619C8.7208@gsc.gte.com> "Brian G. Holmes" <brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com> writes:
> > As such, they are (currently) more interested in the commercial aspects
> > of the tool than the less obvious advantages of releasing it under the
> > GPL.
> Well, I think it will depend on the price.  If you offered this for
> "not a lot" of money (admittedly vague phrase), I believe you will

what is AJPO? what is ATIP? what is ARA?
please explain.

--
Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: C++ To Ada95 Translator
@ 1997-07-24  0:00           ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1997-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

AJPO -- Ada Joint Program Office
ATIP -- Ada Technology Insertion Program
ARA -- Ada Resource Association
David C. Hoos, Sr.
Peter Hermann <ica2ph@alpha1.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in article
<5r6ucb$1jom@info4.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>...

@ 1997-07-24  0:00               ` Jon S Anthony
From: Jon S Anthony @ 1997-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5r7on8$1tiq@info4.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> ica2ph@alpha1.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de (Peter Hermann) writes:

> David C. Hoos, Sr. (david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com) wrote:
> > AJPO -- Ada Joint Program Office
> > ATIP -- Ada Technology Insertion Program
> > ARA -- Ada Resource Association
>
> O K  ...  well, and what does this mean in our context?  ;-)

Good question - you're the one who brought them up!

From: Peter Hermann @ 1997-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)