From: jsa@alexandria.organon.com (Jon S Anthony)
Subject: Re: C++ To Ada95 Translator
Date: 1997/07/23
Date: 1997-07-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <33D619C8.7208@gsc.gte.com> "Brian G. Holmes" <brian.holmes@gsc.gte.com> writes:

> The cpp2anf translator was created for use by the company I work for on
> a conversion effort that is also funded entirely by them.  When they
> think of the tool, they do not think of the hundreds of thousands of
> dollars that it _may_ save them, but rather they think of the tens of
> thousands of dollars that they have already spent on it.  I am asked,
> �can we recuperate any of the money that we have spent on that thing?�
> As such, they are (currently) more interested in the commercial aspects
> of the tool than the less obvious advantages of releasing it under the
> GPL.

Well, I think it will depend on the price.  If you offered this for
"not a lot" of money (admittedly vague phrase), I believe you will
find quite a few takers.  I know some folk who have talked about doing
such a conversion, but it is the upfront cost that disuades them (just
like your employer worrying about the upfront cost of cpp2anf).  They
feel as if they are trapped.  If this thing was in the "megabuck"
range, I'm sure they would continue to feel that way.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
OMI, Belmont, MA 02178