* Looking for an Ada to C translator
@ 1996-05-15  0:00 Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 1996-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure I've seen questions like this posted before, but didn't
pay attention to the answers (sorry).  So, once more time:

Our current project's software is written in Ada83.  We have an
upcoming need to have a version in C or C++, and we'd like to not
transliterate our code by hand.

Are there any Ada to C/C++ translators, especially ones that
produce "reasonable" code?

Thanks,

Michael Cook
MLC@IBERIA.CCA.ROCKWELL.COM

* Re: Looking for an Ada to C translator
@ 1996-05-15  0:00 ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Cook wrote:

> I'm sure I've seen questions like this posted before, but didn't
> pay attention to the answers (sorry).  So, once more time:
>
> Our current project's software is written in Ada83.  We have an
> upcoming need to have a version in C or C++, and we'd like to not
> transliterate our code by hand.
>
> Are there any Ada to C/C++ translators, especially ones that
> produce "reasonable" code?

The best way is to use your vendor's version of "pragma Export (C,...);"

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: Looking for an Ada to C translator
@ 1996-05-17  0:00 ` Jon S Anthony
From: Jon S Anthony @ 1996-05-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <319C281B.6B6@ix.netcom.com> Jeff Pimper <jeffyp@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> I have the same problem.  A large, old Ada83 code which uses both Motif
> and Sherrill-Lubinsky's GMS which runs on an Open VMS Alpha.  My
> management wants me to translate it to C or C++ running on an HP Unix
> box.

The "translate it to C or C++" is probably going to be the least of
your trouble/worries.  I would guess that there is a _lot_ of VMS
specific stuff scattered all over your code (yeah, I know that is
another unfortunate issue, but I would be surprised if it were not
true).  Starlet stuff for example.  If not for this sort of thing, if
your management had any sense (yeah, I know I'm dreaming...) and they
wanted to move to HPUX, they'd port the thing over to Gnat on HP.
Really, the idea that translating to C/C++ is going to help here in
any way is just a joke.  A pathetic one at that.  Hmmm, I see it is
even _worse_ than that as you are employed by someone for whom I and
everyone else here is footing the bill.  Pissing away our money like
this only reinforces the idea that the government is run by clueless
fools.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.

617.484.3383
jsa@organon.com

* Re: Looking for an Ada to C translator
@ 1996-05-17  0:00 ` Jeff Pimper
From: Jeff Pimper @ 1996-05-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Cook wrote:

> Our current project's software is written in Ada83.  We have an
> upcoming need to have a version in C or C++, and we'd like to not
> transliterate our code by hand.
>
> Are there any Ada to C/C++ translators, especially ones that
> produce "reasonable" code?

I have the same problem.  A large, old Ada83 code which uses both Motif
and Sherrill-Lubinsky's GMS which runs on an Open VMS Alpha.  My
management wants me to translate it to C or C++ running on an HP Unix
box.

Jeff Pimper
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
pimper1@llnl.gov