From: jsa@organon.com (Jon S Anthony)
Subject: Re: seperate keyword and seperate compilation with Gnat?
Date: 1996/07/15
Date: 1996-07-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.837148752@schonberg> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> he completely misses my point. His proposed additional statement adds

No I don't.

> nothing to the RM. It is not some complex theorem that needs proving,

No one ever said it was.

> For some reason, Jon got confused by what GNAT was doing, and was for a

Not really.  Simply missed the bit about the switch.

> Jon, if all you are proposing is adding your one sentence, I think that

As I have stated several times, I am not proposing adding this
statement.  Apparently you have missed my only point.  Which was
simply that that statement, contrary to your claim(s), is _FAR_
clearer on the subject than all the RM has to say about it.  This is
so OBVIOUS that to disagree with it is really to defy credulity.

> According to Jon's thinking, as far as I can understand it, if someone
> was confused on this point, he would suggest adding a statement like

But you do not understand my thinking...  Oh well.

> that says that this particular kind of unit is not needed. We have a
> general concept of semantic dependency, which is well defined in the RM,

Yes, but not particularly clear.

> and covers ALL such cases in a nice uniform way -- why single one out
> just because someone got confused by what one implementation did?

I am not suggesting this.

Robert,

Sometimes you can be a bit exasperating.  I never suggested adding the
statement to the RM.  This whole silly discussion started simply because
you claimed there was no _possible_ way to state things more clearly on
this issue than what the RM says.  I showed that this was just patently
false.  You then (for reasons I am unclear about) took this as implying
that I thought this new statement _should_ have been in the RM.  I said
no that's not what I meant, only that it is (obviously) clearer.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.