From: jsa@alexandria (Jon S Anthony)
Subject: Re: Reasons NOT To Choose Ada
Date: 1996/12/10
Date: 1996-12-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <58hgs4$s0e@news.structured.net> cts@alpinet.com (Craig Spannring) writes:

> jsa@alexandria (Jon S Anthony) wrote:

> >Another point worth mentioning in this context is that the $595 price
> >for ObjectAda is for the _professional_ version (even includes
> >ClearCase CMS for crying out loud).  The _personal_ version (which
> >doesn't look too toy like either) is $245.  As pointed out below, to
> >get a _professional_ level MSVC++ is over the $1000.00 mark (last I
> >looked) - and I _believe_ the compiler is the same piece of rubbish as
> >what you get for the $600.00.
>
> Note I said, "I'm being paid to do C++" and "toy to use at home".  I
> think that $595 is a very low price, but since my employer has no
> interest in Ada I would only be able to use it for my own pet
> projects.  Since _I_ could only use it for playing at home, (nobody is
> offering to pay me for Ada code), $595 could better be used for
> upgrading my mountain bike, getting a new pair of skis, etc.  Now if
> someone were to offer to pay me to write Ada code I'd order a copy
> before you could even blink.

Fair enough.  I mean I don't even _have_ a computer at home - can't
stand the things actually, ;^).  But, if it is just to "fool around
with", then the personal edition should be fine.  Of course, it's
probably just as likely that the $245 would be more fun spent on xxx
too.  In fact, given this caveat I'm not convinced even a _free_
version would be "worth it".

> A toy is something I want that I can't get my employer to buy.

First rule in good domain analysis is to get the lexicon straight...:-|

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.