From: jsa@alexandria (Jon S Anthony)
Subject: Re: Ada95 & C++ Interfacing
Date: 1996/08/02
Date: 1996-08-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3200BA54.529A@dra.hmg.gb> Nigel Williams <nigel.williams@dra.hmg.gb> writes:

> I am currently designing a new distributed Air Traffic control system
> Although CORBA would be an excellent choice, this is currently not an
> option (silly isn't it).

Yes.  Most unfortunate.  Why is it not an option?

> I am considering implementing this layer in C++ in order to take
> advantage of the characteristics of OOP, particularly inheritance &

Why not use Ada95?  It has all that.  It will also be a better "glue"
as it has the interface capability to other languages much more than
C++ (for example, Fortran, C, and of course, Ada83 right out of the
box...)

Also, you could try the distributed systems implementation for GNAT,
since you are using GCC based tools anyway.  Then you could have your
distributed system/object stuff by means of Ada95 and for the legacy
bits you could have Ada95 wrappers utilizing the Interfaces
capabilities of Ada95.  Seems like a much more viable route.

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
Organon Motives, Inc.