* RTEMS, MaRTE or ...
@ 2003-02-07 14:14 Per Dalgas Jakobsen
From: Per Dalgas Jakobsen @ 2003-02-07 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm looking for a minimal kernel for executing Ada95 programs.

Eventually drivers for ethernet and preferably IDE harddisks and IEEE1394
will be needed. (I would be supprised if an IEEE1394 driver is readily
available). The driver availability is not a must.
It would be nice though, if the system can boot from a harddisk (SSD).

Anyone have experience with RTEMS or MaRTE?
Other free open source minimal kernels that can be recommended?

TYIA

Regards
Per

* Re: RTEMS, MaRTE or ...
@ 2003-02-08  2:54 ` Victor Porton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Victor Porton @ 2003-02-08  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <pan.2003.02.07.14.14.45.78927@nospam.org>,
	"Per Dalgas Jakobsen" <nospam@nospam.org> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a minimal kernel for executing Ada95 programs.
>
> Eventually drivers for ethernet and preferably IDE harddisks and IEEE1394
> will be needed. (I would be supprised if an IEEE1394 driver is readily
> available). The driver availability is not a must.
> It would be nice though, if the system can boot from a harddisk (SSD).
>
> Anyone have experience with RTEMS or MaRTE?
> Other free open source minimal kernels that can be recommended?

Try kernel of DR-DOS. Source of its _kernel_ is published somewhere.

* Re: RTEMS, MaRTE or ...
@ 2003-02-08  3:28 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2003-02-08  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Per Dalgas Jakobsen" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a minimal kernel for executing Ada95 programs.
>
> Eventually drivers for ethernet and preferably IDE harddisks and IEEE1394
> will be needed. (I would be supprised if an IEEE1394 driver is readily
> available). The driver availability is not a must.
> It would be nice though, if the system can boot from a harddisk (SSD).
>
> Anyone have experience with RTEMS or MaRTE?
> Other free open source minimal kernels that can be recommended?

I have just started playing with GNAT/RTEMS on the pc386.  I have no
experience with MaRTE (other than looking at the web site).

The RTEMS mailing list is fairly active with good answers to questions.  The
only downside I have seen is the documentation is currently out of date.

Steve
(The Duck)

> TYIA
>
> Regards
> Per

* Re: RTEMS, MaRTE or ...
@ 2003-02-10 13:01 ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2003-02-10 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Dalgas Jakobsen wrote:
"Hi,

I'm looking for a minimal kernel for executing Ada95 programs.

Eventually drivers for ethernet and preferably IDE harddisks and IEEE1394
will be needed. (I would be supprised if an IEEE1394 driver is readily
available). The driver availability is not a must.
It would be nice though, if the system can boot from a harddisk (SSD).

Anyone have experience with RTEMS or MaRTE?
Other free open source minimal kernels that can be recommended?"

You did not specify a processor so I would bring ORK (Open Ravenscar
Kernel) to your attention: but it is for a subset of Ada 95. You probably
would not find anyone who has already developed the drivers you need.

ORK is not a RTEMS subset, but I think some of RTEMS has been used in it.

HTTP://WWW.OpenRavenscar.org/

* Re: RTEMS, MaRTE or ...
@ 2003-02-10 13:46   ` Per Dalgas Jakobsen
From: Per Dalgas Jakobsen @ 2003-02-10 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:01:33 +0000, Colin Paul Gloster wrote:

> You did not specify a processor so I would bring ORK (Open Ravenscar
> Kernel) to your attention: but it is for a subset of Ada 95.

The architecture is still a variable ;-)

I have visitted their homepage some time ago, but forgot it again.
Thanks for the reminder :-)

Per

* Re: RTEMS, MaRTE or ...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-10 22:19 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2003-02-10 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Dalgas Jakobsen wrote:

> I'm looking for a minimal kernel for executing Ada95 programs.
>
> Eventually drivers for ethernet and preferably IDE harddisks and IEEE1394
> will be needed. (I would be supprised if an IEEE1394 driver is readily
> available). The driver availability is not a must.

The "Linux in a Box" people seem to be able to cut the Linux kernel down
  to it's essentials.  It this can work even with the real-time patches
I have a vague memory of, you might be able to get ssomething useful.
(all this is just hear-say - I haven't graduated from using ordinary
Linux kernels on ordinary hardware - yet)

 > It would be nice though, if the system can boot from a harddisk (SSD).

Isn't this more a question of hardware/BIOS/boot loader, than of the kernel?

Jacob

PS: Var det ikke en id� med en Ada-aften i K�benhavn i l�bet af ugen
     24-28/2?
--
"Hvis vi foruden de to fuldtr�ffere har 3 missere f�r vi
  overskud"                                           -- Kurt

* Re: RTEMS, MaRTE or ...
@ 2003-02-11 19:27   ` Per Dalgas Jakobsen
From: Per Dalgas Jakobsen @ 2003-02-11 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jacob :-),

> The "Linux in a Box" people seem to be able to cut the Linux kernel down
>   to it's essentials.  It this can work even with the real-time patches

I'm sure that Linux could do a nice job in this case too, but it might be
a bit overkill to use a fullblown(?) OS to simply launch your application
and handle some basic scheduling.

In many embedded cases I end up figuring out how to tweak the OS-drivers
to perform reliably (timing), and in some cases I end up rewriting them to
handle the events the way I need it anyway (e.g. timestamping of every
character from a serial port).

In some applications I also prefere simplicity over flexibility - If there
is no OS-driver, it can't fail.

Per

> PS: Var det ikke en id� med en Ada-aften i K�benhavn i l�bet af ugen
>      24-28/2?

PS: Jo da - Jeg er klar ;-)
(Men befinder du dig ikke p� langt-syd-for-K�ge-�en???)