From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada / MS WinCE
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 21:36:41 GMT
Date: 2008-05-01T21:36:41+00:00	[thread overview]

stephane.los@neuf.fr wrote:
> For the moment I am learning Ada, so I am actually at the bottom.
>
> And I have no idea where is the top... :-)
>
> On my hardware I can play with :
>  - our own Real Time OS written in C, and a GNU gcc tool chain
> together with an Hitex Windows IDE,
>  - WinCE, we have a BSP for it and Embedded Visual tools which allows
> me to write C / C++,
>  - and for Linux, a BSP and a gcc tool chain.
>
> And nothing for Ada.
>
> I have some interest in learning Ada, found an elegant and powerfull
> language, with nice features that could lead to something like Java
> "program once, run everywhere" but in a compiled fashion.
>
> So, I have bought nice books with stars and orchyds and started to
> learn both on a windows and a linux machine with AdaGIDE and GPS.
>
> I was not too much impressed by AdaGIDE and got some problems with GPS
> on windows so now I stick on my Linux machine with GPS and for the
> moment I am glad.
>
> That said, one can see that he absolutely must stop considering me as
> a future customer as I cannot afford the money to spend on tools for
> highly skilled personnel. I am just a beggar like Aqualung.

Sorry. When you talked about "our customers" and what they use, I presumed you
were looking for ways to use Ada professionally. Trying to use Ada on Wince is
probably not the best way to learn the language. GNAT on Linux is an easy and
inexpensive way to learn the language.

Have you looked at adapower.com and adaworld.com?

> Tomorrow, I'll be on my Moto Guzzi with my wife riding to Corsica...

That sounds like a good way to get wet.

--
Jeff Carter
"This trial is a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a