* New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-22 12:55 Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2004-06-22 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any agreement on likely new reserved words for
Ada0Y?

dale

--
dstanbro@spam.o.matic.bigpond.net.au

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-22 13:53 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-06-22 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dale Stanbrough" <MrNoSpam@bigpoop.net.au> wrote in message
> Is there any agreement on likely new reserved words for
> Ada0Y?

"interface" is the only one that springs to my mind, but
that's certainly no guarantee of completeness! ;-)

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-22 14:37   ` Egil H. H�vik
From: Egil H. H�vik @ 2004-06-22 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@baesystems.com> wrote in message
> "Dale Stanbrough" <MrNoSpam@bigpoop.net.au> wrote in message
> > Is there any agreement on likely new reserved words for
> > Ada0Y?
>
> "interface" is the only one that springs to my mind, but
> that's certainly no guarantee of completeness! ;-)

I believe "overriding" is also under consideration.

You should probably take a look at Pascal Leroy's presentation to
Ada Belgium earlier this year, called "An invitation to Ada 2005"

(which I think is identical to the presentation he gave at
Ada Europe 2004 last week)

It can be found at
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/04/040318-abga-event.h
tml
in both Powerpoint and PDF formats.

~egilhh

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-22 15:22     ` Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler
From: Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler @ 2004-06-22 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Egil H. Høvik wrote:

>"Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@baesystems.com> wrote in message
>> "Dale Stanbrough" <MrNoSpam@bigpoop.net.au> wrote in message
>> > Is there any agreement on likely new reserved words for
>> > Ada0Y?
>>
>> "interface" is the only one that springs to my mind, but
>> that's certainly no guarantee of completeness! ;-)
>
>I believe "overriding" is also under consideration.

I thought so, too. But according to the latest entry
<URL:http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00218.TXT?rev=1.15>
this is a pragma now rather than new syntax.

Vinzent.

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-22 15:33       ` Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler
From: Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler @ 2004-06-22 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vinzent 'Gadget' Hoefler wrote:

>I thought so, too. But according to the latest entry
><URL:http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-00218.TXT?rev=1.15>
>this is a pragma now rather than new syntax.

*oops* Forget that. Seems I'm just too stupid and read the wrong one.

<URL:http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/AIs/AI-20218.TXT?rev=1.12>

Here it is a "nonreserved keyword".

(Hope this is the right one now. If not, someone should probably give
me a short tutorial on reading the damn AIs. And I was already
wondering how fast things could change... ;-).

Vinzent.

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-23 19:15 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-06-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dale Stanbrough" <MrNoSpam@bigpoop.net.au> wrote in message
> Is there any agreement on likely new reserved words for
> Ada0Y?

At this point (after the Palma de Mallorca meeting), there is likely to be
three added keywords:

    interface (AI-251)
    overriding (AI-218-3)
    synchronized (AI-345)

Whether these will be new reserved words, or whether we'll define
"unreserved keywords" is still undecided.

[Note that the last one was added very recently; it is a modifier for
interfaces, and it declares that an interfaces can only be implemented by a
task or protected type. There are also 'task' and 'protected' interfaces,
with the obvious semantics. We also approved making 'limited' interfaces
universal, in that they can be implemented by tagged, limited tagged, task,
and protected types -- pretty much everything that makes sense.]

                          Randy.

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-23 21:34   ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 2004-06-23 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Brukardt wrote:

> At this point (after the Palma de Mallorca meeting), there is likely to be
> three added keywords:
>
>     interface (AI-251)
>     overriding (AI-218-3)
>     synchronized (AI-345)
>
> Whether these will be new reserved words, or whether we'll define
> "unreserved keywords" is still undecided.
>
> [Note that the last one was added very recently; it is a modifier for
> interfaces, and it declares that an interfaces can only be implemented by a
> task or protected type. There are also 'task' and 'protected' interfaces,
> with the obvious semantics. We also approved making 'limited' interfaces
> universal, in that they can be implemented by tagged, limited tagged, task,
> and protected types -- pretty much everything that makes sense.]

Ada is a fairly large language already - as a trainer I'ld prefer to have
them as reserved words rather than creating a new category that has to
be explained.

Dale

--

@ 2004-06-23 21:54     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-06-23 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ada is a fairly large language already - as a trainer I'ld prefer to have
> them as reserved words rather than creating a new category that has to
> be explained.

That's the argument on that side. Of course, there is no real reason to
explain the difference (it's better to avoid them even if you are allowed to
reuse the names), so it seems weak to me.

The problem is that Interface is used in an Ada 83 pragma that we would want
to allow implementations to continue to support. But that's solvable.

In the end, I simply don't care much either way.

                         Randy.

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-23 22:03     ` Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 2004-06-23 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Egil H. H�vik <egil.harald.hoevik@REMOVEkongsberg.com> wrote:
>You should probably take a look at Pascal Leroy's presentation to
>Ada Belgium earlier this year, called "An invitation to Ada 2005"
>
>(which I think is identical to the presentation he gave at
>Ada Europe 2004 last week)

The presentation Pascal gave last week was an updated version of the
one for Ada-Belgium in March.

>It can be found at
>http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/04/040318-abga-event.html
>in both Powerpoint and PDF formats.

See the message I posted earlier tonight announcing that these versions
have been updated using Pascal's recent presentation at Ada-Europe'2004.

Enjoy...

Dirk

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-24  6:34   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-06-24  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Brukardt wrote:

> "Dale Stanbrough" <MrNoSpam@bigpoop.net.au> wrote in message
>> Is there any agreement on likely new reserved words for
>> Ada0Y?
>
> At this point (after the Palma de Mallorca meeting), there is likely to be
> three added keywords:
>
>     interface (AI-251)
>     overriding (AI-218-3)
>     synchronized (AI-345)
>
> Whether these will be new reserved words, or whether we'll define
> "unreserved keywords" is still undecided.

I rather fix the code once for new keywords then have some hybrid for rest
of Ada's live.

With Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: New reserved words?
@ 2004-06-26 17:40   ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 2004-06-26 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randy Brukardt wrote:

> At this point (after the Palma de Mallorca meeting), there is likely to be
> three added keywords:
>
>     interface (AI-251)
>     overriding (AI-218-3)
>     synchronized (AI-345)
>
> Whether these will be new reserved words, or whether we'll define
> "unreserved keywords" is still undecided.

There is also the possibility of a fourth new keyword/reserved word in
the discussion of AI 359.  It isn't clear what it should be, and it
might be interface also.

--

                                           Robert I. Eachus

"Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality
can prevail in exclusion of religious principles." -- George Washington