* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada? - historical note
       [not found]   ` <3A70172C.B1D91123@earthlink.net>
@ 2001-01-26 15:54     ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2001-01-26 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marc A. Criley" wrote:

> Pascal Obry wrote:
> >
> > To add something to the current answers there is also "Visual Ada", I don't
> > have the pointer to it but search comp.lang.ada archives with dejanews...
> >

> Leonid Duhlman has been working on "Visual Ada Developer (VAD)" over the
> years, which appears to be a TCL/TK based GUI builder for Ada.  I've
> never used it, but he does appear to be continuously working on it.
>
> The link is http://members.nbci.com/ldulman/vad.htm
>
> Marc A. Criley
> Senior Staff Engineer
> Quadrus Corporation
> www.quadruscorp.com

Perhaps what Pascal was remembering is the "Visual Ada" product
trademarked and sold by Aetech in the 1993-1994 time frame.  This Visual
Ada was an option for Aetech's IntegrAda for Windows product.  It was a
GUI builder very similar in appearance to the one in Microsoft's  Visual
Basic 1.0.  I bought 20 copies to use for an Ada class at Holloman AFB,
NM in 1994.

See IntegrAda for Windows, Version 1.2 in
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/ajpo_databases/ada83_validated_compilers.html

Apparently Aetech has been out of business for some time. They used to
have a Web site at www.pcada.com but it is no longer active.

Britt Snodgrass

* RE: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-01-26 18:05 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-01-26 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

We're running Windows NT 4.0 SP 6a.

From: Randy Brukardt @ 2001-01-26 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Britt Snodgrass wrote in message <3A719DA7.82E2610E@adapower.net>...

>Perhaps what Pascal was remembering is the "Visual Ada" product
>trademarked and sold by Aetech in the 1993-1994 time frame.  This
Visual
>Ada was an option for Aetech's IntegrAda for Windows product.  It was a
>GUI builder very similar in appearance to the one in Microsoft's
Visual
>Basic 1.0.  I bought 20 copies to use for an Ada class at Holloman AFB,
>NM in 1994.
>
>Apparently Aetech has been out of business for some time. They used to
>have a Web site at www.pcada.com but it is no longer active.

Yes, Aetech has been gone for quite a while. After their demise, one of
their former employees ended up with the software. We (RR Software)
licensed the programming environment from him, and renamed it JAWS II.
It's still found in Janus/Ada, although it is unmaintainable (because we
didn't get the source code, and apparently no one has it anymore). We're
working on replacing it with a Claw program.

                Randy.

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada? - historical note
@ 2001-01-26 22:15       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-01-26 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Britt Snodgrass <britt@adapower.net> writes:

> "Marc A. Criley" wrote:
> >
> > Pascal Obry wrote:
> > >
> > > To add something to the current answers there is also "Visual Ada", I don't
> > > have the pointer to it but search comp.lang.ada archives with dejanews...
> > >

> > Leonid Duhlman has been working on "Visual Ada Developer (VAD)" over the
> > years, which appears to be a TCL/TK based GUI builder for Ada.  I've
> > never used it, but he does appear to be continuously working on it.
> >
> > The link is http://members.nbci.com/ldulman/vad.htm
> >
> > Marc A. Criley
> > Senior Staff Engineer
> > Quadrus Corporation
> > www.quadruscorp.com
>
> Perhaps what Pascal was remembering is the "Visual Ada" product
> trademarked and sold by Aetech in the 1993-1994 time frame.  This Visual

No I was thinking about VAD, but I have a very bad memory !!!!

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-01-27  1:52 ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-01-27  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Beard, Frank" wrote:

> We're running Windows NT 4.0 SP 6a.

A standard editbox has a 32K limit (son of Windows 3.1); a "rich edit"
control has a 4G limit, and a whole bunch of different problems... ;-)

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
       [not found] ` <DTr7BCXE70f+@eisner.decus.org>
@ 2001-01-27  3:17   ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2001-01-27  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

    LK> What do you find missing from the ObjectAda product ?

A Linux version.

| Support Signature Minimalism                              |

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-01-27 23:47     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-01-27 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <732FACF8BF7E8D79.8125E7BE5B617E0B.B3DBC49334E8E3C4@lp.airnews.net>, Robert Love <rlove@neosoft.com> writes:

>     LK> What do you find missing from the ObjectAda product ?
>
> A Linux version.

I didn't know there was a Visual C++ for Linux.

Linux is a little harder than Windows because there are so many
different hardware architectures to support.

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-02-06  8:08       ` Tomas Brixi
From: Tomas Brixi @ 2001-02-06  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Larry Kilgallen" <Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam> wrote in message
> In article
<732FACF8BF7E8D79.8125E7BE5B617E0B.B3DBC49334E8E3C4@lp.airnews.net>, Robert

> >     LK> What do you find missing from the ObjectAda product ?
> >
> > A Linux version.
>
> I didn't know there was a Visual C++ for Linux.

Moreover Visual C++ is not so "visual" as it announce itself :-)
(comparing to e.g. c++ builder)

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-02-07 15:58       ` Buz Cory
From: Buz Cory @ 2001-02-07 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/27/01, 6:47:58 PM, Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam (Larry
Kilgallen) wrote regarding Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?:

> In article

<732FACF8BF7E8D79.8125E7BE5B617E0B.B3DBC49334E8E3C4@lp.airnews.net>,
>    Robert Love <rlove@neosoft.com> writes:

> > A Linux version.

> I didn't know there was a Visual C++ for Linux.

There isn't, but who cares on *this* forum? :=}}

> Linux is a little harder than Windows because there are so many
> different hardware architectures to support.

Actually, several Free Software projects have reported that release of
new version was delayed by porting the product to M$-Vindows. :=)

Further, if you are not diddling with the hardware (as you shouldn't
be),
then porting to *any* version of X/Linux from *any* other should be no
harder than copying the package (as in distro) to the desired platform
and typing "make". X and Linux worry about the architecture.

== Buz :)

--
Buz Cory of BuzCo Systems -- New York NY USA
http://BuzCo.PenguinPowered.com

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-02-07 17:02         ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2001-02-07 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 15:58:10 GMT, Buz Cory <weltseer@BuzCo.PenguiPowered.com>
wrote:
>Further, if you are not diddling with the hardware (as you shouldn't=20
>be),

If you're writing a compiler, you have to.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada? - historical note
@ 2001-02-07 19:21         ` aschw1309
From: aschw1309 @ 2001-02-07 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No I was thinking about VAD, but I have a very bad memory !!!!

Try
     http://members.xoom.com/ldulman/vad.htm

I've been trying to evaluate  editors in the Ada community
and this is one that I've come across. As I remember, it
doesn't work well but that may have been my 'fumble fingers.

art
aschwarz@acm.org

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-02-08  9:54         ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-02-08  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Buz Cory <weltseer@BuzCo.PenguiPowered.com> writes:

> Further, if you are not diddling with the hardware (as you shouldn't
> be), then porting to *any* version of X/Linux from *any* other
> should be no harder than copying the package (as in distro) to the
> desired platform and typing "make". X and Linux worry about the
> architecture.

A lot of software which has been developed on a GNU/Linux system
assumes a little-endian machine with pointers and C ints which are 32
bits wide, and that the hardware does not require any alignment for
the standard types.

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-02-08  9:56           ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-02-08  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner) writes:

> >Further, if you are not diddling with the hardware (as you shouldn't=20
> >be),
>
> If you're writing a compiler, you have to.

Huh?  I've never seen a compiler that performs direct hardware access.
Compilers are usually the most portable pieces of software in common
use because they only translate one text file to another.  Porting
compilers to a new host is usually not very hard (however, adding a
new target is a completely different story ;).

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-02-08 13:20           ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2001-02-08 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08 Feb 2001 10:54:06 +0100, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>A lot of software which has been developed on a GNU/Linux system
>assumes a little-endian machine with pointers and C ints which are 32
>bits wide, and that the hardware does not require any alignment for
>the standard types.

A lot of software? Pretty much anything shipped with Debian or RedHat has
been compiled and probably run on Alphas and other architectures.

--

@ 2001-02-08 20:32             ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-02-08 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner) writes:

> On 08 Feb 2001 10:54:06 +0100, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> >A lot of software which has been developed on a GNU/Linux system
> >assumes a little-endian machine with pointers and C ints which are 32
> >bits wide, and that the hardware does not require any alignment for
> >the standard types.
>
> A lot of software? Pretty much anything shipped with Debian or RedHat has
> been compiled and probably run on Alphas and other architectures.

This is just a fraction in comparison to what is announced via
channels like Freshmeat.

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-02-08 21:06               ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2001-02-08 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08 Feb 2001 21:32:50 +0100, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner) writes:
>
>> On 08 Feb 2001 10:54:06 +0100, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>> >A lot of software which has been developed on a GNU/Linux system
>> >assumes a little-endian machine with pointers and C ints which are 32
>> >bits wide, and that the hardware does not require any alignment for
>> >the standard types.
>>
>> A lot of software? Pretty much anything shipped with Debian or RedHat has
>> been compiled and probably run on Alphas and other architectures.
>
>This is just a fraction in comparison to what is announced via
>channels like Freshmeat.

But it's a large fraction, and more important, it's one selected (at least
on Debian) for the property of being interesting. The original quote was
"if _you_ are not diddling with the hardware ... then porting to *any*
version of X/Linux from *any* other _should_ be no harder than copying
the package ... to the desired platform and typing 'make'." (Underlines mine.)
The fact that some beginning programmers rewriting some basic project make
elementary mistakes (that would happen on any platform, and any low-level
language like C or Ada) does not mean that you should make them.

--

@ 2001-02-09  8:31             ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2001-02-09  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Starner wrote
>Florian Weimer wrote:
>>A lot of software which has been developed on a GNU/Linux system
>>assumes a little-endian machine with pointers and C ints which are 32
>>bits wide, and that the hardware does not require any alignment for
>>the standard types.
>
>A lot of software? Pretty much anything shipped with Debian or RedHat has
>been compiled and probably run on Alphas and other architectures.

It does not neccessarily mean that the software work in 64 bit mode. Many, if
not all 64 bit machines support a 32 bit pointer environment with 32 bit
integers.

Greetings,

* Re: Why isn't there Visual Ada?
@ 2001-02-09 15:39               ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2001-02-09 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:31:11 +0100, Tarjei T. Jensen
<tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com> wrote:

>David Starner wrote
>>
>>A lot of software? Pretty much anything shipped with Debian or RedHat has
>>been compiled and probably run on Alphas and other architectures.
>
>It does not neccessarily mean that the software work in 64 bit mode. Many, if
>not all 64 bit machines support a 32 bit pointer environment with 32 bit
>integers.

Debian does not compile its Alpha packages in that mode. (I don't believe
an Alpha has that mode, or even if it does, that GCC for the alpha-linux-gnu
supports using it. So I doubt Red Hat uses it either.)

--

@ 2001-02-09 22:20                 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-02-09 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9612vb$9aa1@news.cis.okstate.edu>, dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu (David Starner) writes:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:31:11 +0100, Tarjei T. Jensen
> <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.com> wrote:
>>
>>David Starner wrote
>>>
>>>A lot of software? Pretty much anything shipped with Debian or RedHat has
>>>been compiled and probably run on Alphas and other architectures.
>>
>>It does not neccessarily mean that the software work in 64 bit mode. Many, if
>>not all 64 bit machines support a 32 bit pointer environment with 32 bit
>>integers.
>
> Debian does not compile its Alpha packages in that mode. (I don't believe
> an Alpha has that mode, or even if it does, that GCC for the alpha-linux-gnu
> supports using it. So I doubt Red Hat uses it either.)

Alpha has no 32 bit addressing mode in hardware.  A compiler that
is going to use 32 bit pointers will generate code that sign-extends
the 32 bit pointer when loading it into a 64-bit register.