* Is There A Newer Win32Ada For ObjectAda?
@ 2000-02-04  0:00 Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am developing Win32 NT applications using ObjectAda. I have been using the
Win32 packages for the Win32 system services. The Win32Ada packages, or at
least the ones that come with ObjectAda, are out of date. I need some of the
Win32 facilities that are not available in the ObjectAda version of
Win32Ada. Aonix seems to be supporting WinAPI instead.

Frankly, I would rather not switch from Win32Ada to WinAPI. I already have a
lot of code using Win32Ada that would have to be revised. Moreover, I prefer
the Win32Ada interface.

Since the Win32Ada interface is thin, it should not be difficult to
incorporate a more recent version of Win32Ada, if one exists. Does anyone
know of a more recent version of Win32Ada?

* Re: Is There A Newer Win32Ada For ObjectAda?
@ 2000-02-05  0:00 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>The Win32Ada packages, or at least the ones that come with ObjectAda,
>are out of date.  I need some of the Win32 facilities that are not
>available in the ObjectAda version of Win32Ada.
>Frankly, I would rather not switch from Win32Ada to WinAPI. I already
>have a lot of code using Win32Ada that would have to be revised.

  It perhaps bears repeating that selecting a binding to something
as large as Windows should be done only after careful thought, and
with a view toward future needs.  Something that seems adequate,
and cheap and easy to start using, may lock you into a particular
binding or compiler and be very painful to change in the future.
  Tom Moran
  (who has contributed to making CLAW over 5MB of Ada-style binding,
containing "pragma import"s for over 500 Windows functions, plus
examples and docs)

* Re: Is There A Newer Win32Ada For ObjectAda?
@ 2000-02-10  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2000-02-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Win32 the comes with GNAT has some improvements and is more up to date.

You may also consider mixing in imports from AdaWin (which contains many
bindings to Win32 not found in Win32Ada, but at the same time suffers other
problems that are being worked on). http://www.adapower.com/lab/adawin.html

David Botton