* Is JGNAT production ready?...
@ 2001-01-04  1:03 Andrzej Lewandowski
From: Andrzej Lewandowski @ 2001-01-04  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am working on some Java application that is heavily using threads.
Programming multithreaded applications in Java is, ehem... sorry...
no fun. Therefore, I have undusted my Ada83 skills, upgraded to 95
and I am thinking about using JGNAT for this part of application that
uses threads, with the rest in plain Java.

This is commercial application, and I have no room for mistakes.
Mistakes would be expensive. Therefore, the question(s): what is the
quality of JGNAT? Is here anybody who has experience with using
JGNAT for medium-size real life projects? Linking JGNAT modules
with Java modules? Quality of JGNAT threads?...

Other question: is GNU JGNAT as good/bad as the commercial version
of JGNAT? Are they the same JGNATs?...

Andrzej Lewandowski

* Re: Is JGNAT production ready?...
@ 2001-01-04  3:08 ` Rajagopalan Srinivasan
From: Rajagopalan Srinivasan @ 2001-01-04  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Will you be a "supported" customer?

There is little to no support to be had for jgnat "public" free version.

HTH

@ 2001-01-04 18:01   ` Andrzej Lewandowski
From: Andrzej Lewandowski @ 2001-01-04 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rajagopalan Srinivasan" <r.srinivasan@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Will you be a "supported" customer?
>
> There is little to no support to be had for jgnat "public" free version.
>
> HTH

If you read carefully my posting, this is NOT the question I asked.

A.L.

* Re: Is JGNAT production ready?...
@ 2001-01-04 20:42 ` Rob Veenker
From: Rob Veenker @ 2001-01-04 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have used JGNAT (supported version) on a project that involved running an
application on a handheld PC using a JVM. There was a mix of Java and Ada
source and after some puzzeling at first, I managed to get Ada to call Java
(including calls from tasks) and Java to call Ada packages (classes).
It saved me the trouble of learning a new language and I too really needed
the tasking support from Ada since I was implementing a proprietary protocol
for driving a communications radio. The main penalty of using JGNAT is that
you get quite a few runtime Java classes to link with your code. This was of
some concern to me because a PDA doesn't have much :-)
The project was relatively small but I got a good impression of JGNAT. It
matched up to my expectations.
I haven't had a look at the public version so I can't comment on that one.

Regards,

Rob Veenker

@ 2001-01-06 14:33 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-01-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrzej Lewandowski" <lewandoREMOVE@attglobal.net> writes:

> I am working on some Java application that is heavily using threads.
> Programming multithreaded applications in Java is, ehem... sorry...
> no fun. Therefore, I have undusted my Ada83 skills, upgraded to 95
> and I am thinking about using JGNAT for this part of application that
> uses threads, with the rest in plain Java.
>
> This is commercial application, and I have no room for mistakes.

So the main mistake will be to use the puplic release meaning no support :)

> Mistakes would be expensive. Therefore, the question(s): what is the
> quality of JGNAT? Is here anybody who has experience with using
> JGNAT for medium-size real life projects? Linking JGNAT modules
> with Java modules? Quality of JGNAT threads?...
>
> Other question: is GNU JGNAT as good/bad as the commercial version
> of JGNAT? Are they the same JGNATs?...

Well JGNAT is JGNAT. The main difference is the support not the tool.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Is JGNAT production ready?...
@ 2001-01-07  2:25   ` Andrzej Lewandowski
From: Andrzej Lewandowski @ 2001-01-07  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Pascal Obry" <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

> "Andrzej Lewandowski" <lewandoREMOVE@attglobal.net> writes:
>
> > I am working on some Java application that is heavily using threads.
> > Programming multithreaded applications in Java is, ehem... sorry...
> > no fun. Therefore, I have undusted my Ada83 skills, upgraded to 95
> > and I am thinking about using JGNAT for this part of application that
> > uses threads, with the rest in plain Java.
> >
> > This is commercial application, and I have no room for mistakes.
>
> So the main mistake will be to use the puplic release meaning no support :)
>
> > Mistakes would be expensive. Therefore, the question(s): what is the
> > quality of JGNAT? Is here anybody who has experience with using
> > JGNAT for medium-size real life projects? Linking JGNAT modules
> > with Java modules? Quality of JGNAT threads?...
> >
> > Other question: is GNU JGNAT as good/bad as the commercial version
> > of JGNAT? Are they the same JGNATs?...
>
> Well JGNAT is JGNAT. The main difference is the support not the tool.

Well, if both JGNATs are the same, what "support" means? They will
be teachning me Ada?...

A.L.

* Re: Is JGNAT production ready?...
@ 2001-01-07  4:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-01-07  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3a57c6a8_2@news3.prserv.net>,
  "Andrzej Lewandowski" <lewandoREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Well, if both JGNATs are the same, what "support" means? They
> will be teachning me Ada?...

Helping people to understand some of the more difficult parts
of the Ada language as it relates to their applications is
indeed one part of the support services we provide (examples
are elaboration semantics and representation clauses, which
seem to cause particular difficulties in porting legacy code).

But that's only a very small part of our support services.
If you are interested in finding out more, feel free to visit
our web site, or correspond directly with our sales department.

If your application is non-critical, and you are comfortable
using unsupported software, then the public version may be
suitable for your use, but you seemed to imply that this was
a mission critical project, in which case our advice (which
we certainly follow ourselves) is to use supported software
wherever possible. The support services that we provide can
reduce risks and costs in a wide range of critical projects
using Ada.

We can also guarantee that you are working with the correct
version of the system and also provide and guarantee the
appropriate licensing information (that's not to say that
there are necessarily any problems in these regards with the
particular copy of the public version that you have, but we
cannot guarantee anything about the public version, since it
may not even be the same version we provided -- the open
source software arena encourages people to improve, repackage
etc and this has happened with various versions of GNAT in
the past).

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Is JGNAT production ready?...
@ 2001-01-07  5:36   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-01-07  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anybody have comments on the Intermetrics/Aonix Ada->JVM compiler?

* Re: Is JGNAT production ready?...
@ 2001-01-07 10:08     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-01-07 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrzej Lewandowski" <lewandoREMOVE@attglobal.net> writes:

> Well, if both JGNATs are the same, what "support" means? They will
> be teachning me Ada?...

Support is Support, right :) More seriously if you encounter a problem (call
it a bug) with JGNAT your problem will be look at, fixed and you'll have
access to the fixed tool (that is only one example of what a support is).

But this has nothing to do with GNAT, ACT or whatever. The whole Open Source
community is working this way. GCC, GNAT, CVS, <name your tool here> have
public version from time to time, are supported by compagnies like ACT,
Cygnus, SourceGear and these tools have a "supported" version not yet
available to the public (only available to the customers)...

Does that answer your question ?

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Is JGNAT production ready?...
@ 2001-01-07 14:35       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2001-01-07 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

An important difference to note is that unlike most other Open Source
support companies, ACT has been releasing all their advances to the
community in a timely consistant manner and with out licenses that encumber
your software. It is a shame that more open source companies do not learn
from them.

David Botton