* GNAT for arm-elf target?
@ 2005-08-20 15:19 Andreas Schwarz
From: Andreas Schwarz @ 2005-08-20 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

can I expect to get a usable Ada cross compiler for ARM simply by
compiling gcc with --enable-languages=c,ada --target=arm-elf, or is
there more to it?

Thanks
Andreas

--
http://www.mikrocontroller.net

* Re: GNAT for arm-elf target?
@ 2005-08-20 19:32 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2005-08-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schwarz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can I expect to get a usable Ada cross compiler for ARM simply by
> compiling gcc with --enable-languages=c,ada --target=arm-elf, or is
> there more to it?
>
> Thanks
> Andreas

Even for vanilla C building cross compilers can (sometimes) be a bit of
a pain. (http://kegel.com/crosstool/)

You will need cross binutils as well. Also for a real full Ada I would
expect that you need the OS listed in the --target someplace since it
will be difficult to build the runtime without knowing that data.

If you can afford it I'd really recommend getting a supported version
from AdaCore.

They currently list arm vxWorks as a supported platform.

If you are looking for a non-runtime/non-tasking version of the compiler
it can be a bit easier to get everything built.

I also poked around the rtems website (www.rtems.com) since they provide
pre-built RPMs for various targets. They have a bunch of Ada cross
compilers but for Arm they do not currently show gnat support.

If you are just looking for something to play with (v.s. something for
real "work") then I suppose just giving it a try would be fun.