* Quote of the month contest (was Re: Is Greg really right?)
@ 1995-04-19  0:00 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1995-04-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Quote of the month contest (was Re: Is Greg really right?)
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Mark Bayern <mbayern@MLB.WIN.NET> writes:

>In article <3mkjm8$1ct@stout.entertain.com>, Colin James III
>(cjames@stout.entertain.com) writes:
>>

>>The beam, or rafter quotes (in NT Greek, dakos) are as follows:
>>
>>Matt 7:3/5:
>>
>>And why beholdest thou the mote that is in they brother's eye, but
>>considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?  Or how wilt thou say
>>to they brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye;  and, behod,
>
>That's Greek?  Sure reads like King James English to me.  (Greek
>uses those 'funny' symbols you learned once.  Remember alpha, beta,
>delta, gamma ...??)

    Well you're probably right about it not being Greek. Since I can
    figure out what it means, it's some close approximation to English

    As the initiator of this little side thread, I feel a certain
    obligation to point out that whatever language it's in, it's still
    pretty good advice, eh? :-)

    (And who is this "King James" guy anyway and what's he got to do
    with Lord Byron't daughter???? ;-)

    Pax,
    Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    Please send responses to one of the addresses in this trailer.
    A "reply" to the address in the message header will bounce.
    "Some people say a front-engine car handles best. Some people say
    a rear-engine car handles best. I say a rented car handles best."

        --  P. J. O'Rourke

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-04-19  0:00 UTC | newest]