From: CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM
Subject: Re: Standards - on the net or for sale?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 11:30:40 EST
Date: 1995-03-21T11:30:40-05:00	[thread overview]

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Robert Dewar <dewar@CS.NYU.EDU> writes:
>The proper way of saying things is "I think xxx should pay for the
>dissemination of standards". Standards organizations require a paid
>professional staff, who will pay them is a question that cannot be ignored.

A touch! A touch! I do confess!

However, WRT government established standards the issue of who
pays is already clear. I did when the government confiscated part
of my paycheck under threat of legal unpleasantness.

>So if this thread continues, I would like to see some candidates for
>xxx. After all there are a lot of people who take the not completely
>unreasonable view that those who use something should pay for it!

IEEE is a private organization funded by its membership dues. I
think if it wants to be in the standards establishing business,
it can decide for itself how best to recoup the cost. I have no
objection to the notion of charging the folks who actually use
the standard for the cost of it's production.

But if you'd like to *really* make it a used and effective
standard, (as opposed to shelfware) then underwriting it at the
expense of the membership and disseminating it for free would be
a better strategy. It would probably also boost membership.

Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a
lightbulb?

A: None Bill Gates declares darkness to be an industry standard.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    Please send responses to one of the addresses in this trailer.
    A "reply" to the address in the message header will bounce.
    Glendower: "I can call spirits from the vasty deep."
    Hotspur: "Why so can I, or so can any man; but will they come when
    you do call for them?"

        -- Shakespeare, "Henry IV"