From: CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM
Subject: Re: 2167A, 498, commercial and mil standards...
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 13:55:14 EST
Date: 1995-02-07T13:55:14-05:00	[thread overview]

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

DEAN RUNZEL <s0222353@MONCOL.MONMOUTH.EDU> writes:

>I guess the meat of this post is : stop whining and waiting for the gov't.
>to spoon feed us. To paraphrase John F. Kennedy: Ask not what your gov't. can
>do for you, but what you can do to help your gov't. and others.

I don't exactly know as we were "whining" but given that you are
probably in the same situation as many of us (doing more with
less) I can see how you might get to feel this way.

I think my original point about this was that getting the
documents via FTP would be a heck of a lot easier/cheaper/faster
than the traditional routes of requesting them from our Tech Pubs
department or librarian. (not to mention that you get a clean
copy instead of an Nth generation xerox!)

I can't imagine that even the government could be so far behind the
times that most standards wouldn't be in some kind of machine
readable form. Once you've got it in a word processor format, it
seems to me to be a near trivial task to do an FTP and put it on
a public site. (Oops! I forgot about needing to form up a
committee, do a feasability study, write up a report, get
official sanction, etc., etc. Things aren't any different here!
;-)

I like the idea of putting them out on wuarchive.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked
    with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is
    a fad that won't last out the year."

        --  The editor in charge of business books for Prentice
            Hall, 1957.