From: CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM
Subject: Re: Ada Run-time for embedded systems
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 11:08:59 EST
Date: 1995-02-07T11:08:59-05:00	[thread overview]

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

"Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@ESCMAIL.MMC.ORL.COM> Writes:

>l107353@cliffy.lfwc.lockheed.com (Garlington KE) wrote:
>>
>> Actually, there's a lot of COTS being used in embedded systems these days;
>> it's just that "embedded" means more than those weaselly little processors
>> used in avionics like ICNIA (or like I still use today :). For example,
>> C3I workstations are often called "embedded" systems since they are part of
>> a larger system. Many of these environments use extensive COTS databases,
>> display managers, etc.
>>
>Gimme a break!
>
>Show me someone who refers to a workstation setup as an "embedded
>system" and I'll show you someone who is trying to pad his resume'.

I have to agree. While one might easily call a workstation based
application "realtime" it's hard to imagine it as being
"embedded". If you define "embedded" losely enough, you could
call a payroll application on an IBM mainframe a "realtime",
"embedded" system. After all, it's "embedded" in a factory system
which semi-automatically takes raw materials in at one end of the
building and squirts out widgets from the other end. And it
happens in "realtime" because paydays happen on the 1st and 15th.
And they're "hard" deadlines in that missing them could result in
a riot which would destroy the widget producing platform...

I don't know how y'all would like to define what an "embedded"
system is, but I'd say that if it has a screen, QWERTY keyboard
and a mouse, we're _probably_ not talking about one.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked
    with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is
    a fad that won't last out the year."

        --  The editor in charge of business books for Prentice
            Hall, 1957.