From: CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM
Subject: Re: FSF drops Apple boycott, opens gate for GNAT, etc.
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 10:54:13 EST
Date: 1995-02-07T10:54:13-05:00	[thread overview]

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Robert Dewar <dewar@CS.NYU.EDU> Writes:

>No, the next milestone is now, as it has been before the recent announcement,
>when a version of gcc becomes available for the Mac. Remember that FSF itself
>is not particularly interested in the MAC, until there is a version of GNU
>(the operating system) for the MAC. They are not in the business of creating
>ports to miscellaneous non-GNU operating systems.
>...Etc...

O.K. I'm a little lost. I've been reading this thread over the
last couple of days and could use a little history.

1) Is/was there some sort of boycott by FSF of Apple/Macintosh
machines?

2) For what reason?

3) Did it have any impact?

4) If the boycott is over, how did this come about? (Is there
some sort of secret cabal running FSF who went into a smoke
filled room, made a decision and pronounced it to the world?)

5) Is there any immediate impact for the Mac world or FSF world?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that should be intuitively obvious
to even the most casual observer. Ignorance isn't a crime -
remaining so intentionally ought to be...

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked
    with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is
    a fad that won't last out the year."

        --  The editor in charge of business books for Prentice
            Hall, 1957.