* Re: How come so much traffic on comp.lang.ada??
@ 1995-02-07 15:32 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1995-02-07 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Re: How come so much traffic on comp.lang.ada??
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

David Weller <dweller@STARBASE.NEOSOFT.COM> writes:

>Actually, you've been described as the greatest invention since
>bellybutton lint. :-)

I hear that NASA has discovered that bellybutton lint could be
the most energetic rocket fuel available in a stable form - and
hence could be worth quite a bit of money. Or was that cat
hairballs? ;-)

Pax
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked
    with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is
    a fad that won't last out the year."

        --  The editor in charge of business books for Prentice
            Hall, 1957.

* Re: How come so much traffic on comp.lang.ada??
@ 1995-02-01 14:53 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1995-02-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93

David Emery <emery@GOLDFINGER.MITRE.ORG> writes:

>6.  Ada programmers are much less egotistical, in the sense that they
>view programming as a group activity (rather than an individual
>activity).

I don't know - I'm about as egotistical as they come. (Unless, of
course, you subscribe to the theory that I really am the greatest
invention since shirt pockets ;-) I've never found that to be an
impediment to being an Ada programmer.

Maybe C, with it's terse syntax, appeals to those with little
desire to express themselves at length - or just don't like to
type. Whereas Ada, with it's self-documenting syntax and
encouraged use of long, descriptive names, appeals to those who
are naturally more verbose - or at least have learned to use a
keyboard well enough that posting a message isn't an exercise in
hunt-and-peck typing.

I suppose that's about as good a theory as any other - eh? ;-)

@ 1995-01-31  6:24 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1995-01-31  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker) wrote:
> I've constantly been amazed by the volume of traffic on comp.lang.ada
> relative to comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++.
> I have a hard time believing that this is the same as the
> ratio of the number of Ada programmers to C/C++ programmers.  (One
> glance at computer selection at Barnes & Noble bookstore tells a
> completely different story.)

Perhaps there are many people trying to teach themselves C/C++ in
hopes of changing to a high paying career in computer programming.

* How come so much traffic on comp.lang.ada??
@ 1995-01-31  1:14 Henry Baker
From: Henry Baker @ 1995-01-31  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've constantly been amazed by the volume of traffic on comp.lang.ada
relative to comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++.  On many days the ratio is
about 1:3, meaning 1 Ada message for every 3 C messages or every 4 C++
messages.  I have a hard time believing that this is the same as the
ratio of the number of Ada programmers to C/C++ programmers.  (One
glance at computer selection at Barnes & Noble bookstore tells a
completely different story.)

I can only speculate on the reasons for this:

1.  The Ada language itself is so complex that no one can understand it
without asking a lot of questions.

2.  Ada people work on harder problems which require more consultation.

3.  Usenet is getting only a fraction of the C and C++ questions -- the
Compu$erve and Airheads Online forums handle most of their questions.

4.  Ada people are lonely, and talk to each other to cheer one another
up (ditto for comp.lang.lisp).

etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts as to why this is?

(Other than because of stupid questions like this one :-) :-)