From: CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM
Subject: Re: How come so much traffic on comp.lang.ada??
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 09:53:18 EST
Date: 1995-02-01T09:53:18-05:00	[thread overview]

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

David Emery <emery@GOLDFINGER.MITRE.ORG> writes:

>6.  Ada programmers are much less egotistical, in the sense that they
>view programming as a group activity (rather than an individual
>activity).

I don't know - I'm about as egotistical as they come. (Unless, of
course, you subscribe to the theory that I really am the greatest
invention since shirt pockets ;-) I've never found that to be an
impediment to being an Ada programmer.

Maybe C, with it's terse syntax, appeals to those with little
desire to express themselves at length - or just don't like to
type. Whereas Ada, with it's self-documenting syntax and
encouraged use of long, descriptive names, appeals to those who
are naturally more verbose - or at least have learned to use a
keyboard well enough that posting a message isn't an exercise in
hunt-and-peck typing.

I suppose that's about as good a theory as any other - eh? ;-)

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked
    with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is
    a fad that won't last out the year."

        --  The editor in charge of business books for Prentice
            Hall, 1957.