From: CONDIC@PSAVAX.PWFL.COM
Subject: Re: Marketing Ada
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 09:19:13 EST
Date: 1994-12-13T09:19:13-05:00	[thread overview]

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Michael Feldman <mfeldman@SEAS.GWU.EDU> writes:

>If anyone in net-land is a systers member, you might ask that
>group to describe their perceptions of Ada, as a teaching language,
>and in general. The results would, I think, be very interesting.

Don't you think that there is a _slight_ possibility that the
individuals subscribing to a newsgroup called "systers" might
just be ever so slightly biased towards a particular agenda and
are, at best, a self-selected group and are thus guaranteed not
to be a random sampling of women in computer science? Is it at
all possible that some individuals in such a group might be out
there looking for "sexism" or "male domination" in almost
_anything_?

Mike, I'll say it again. It is a *BIG* mistake trying to
interject a notion that computer languages can be "sexist" or in
any way give credibility to a misperception that C or any
language is part of a "Macho" culture. It will only politicize
something which ought not be a political issue.

I'm not against depicting women as users of Ada in an interest of
broadening the audience. But let's not turn computer languages
into another battleground of "sexism" by even entertaining the
thought that it could or should be.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "Nobody shot me."

        --  Last words of Frank Gusenberg when asked by police who
            shot him fourteen times with a machine gun in the Saint
            Valentine's Day Massacre.