From: Simtel20 Transfer <HARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU>
Subject: Is Ada the Future?
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 23:13:00 EDT
Date: 1994-10-01T23:13:00-04:00	[thread overview]

I read in Information Week that Bill Gates says that
he has $500M invested in Windows NT product family.
I used to think that the $30M or so that the DoD
out into Softech's original Ada effort was a lot
of money and should have been enough.  But now after
reflection and considering the $500M for an operating system
maybe a new language system, namely Ada 9X, needs
> $500M to begin to make it commercially viable.
Do we have the $500M+ to put into a new commercial
programming language system?  I doubt if the DoD does.
Ok, I'll speculate that Ada 9X needs about $750M
invested over the next several years to make it
a commercial success.
Agree?  Disagree?

sam harbaugh HARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU
p.s. just the team Ada uniforms will cost
a considerable amount of money  :-)