From: Mike H <postmaster@ada-augusta.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Pretty printing the pretty print.
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:25:29 +0100
Date: 2013-09-27T14:25:29+01:00	[thread overview]

In message <da27e87a-7341-4b83-89f7-f017bb74de18@googlegroups.com>,
gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com writes
>Then consider: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
>It does a real pretty print
Agreed!

However, I was unable to persuade the site to download a copy onto my
PC. Not that it mattered because the on-line demonstration allowed me to
do all that I wanted to do for my immediate purposes. That purpose was
to print some code fragments in order to explain what is meant, in Ada,
by array slices, sliding and unbounded declarations.

A C++ man working for a blue-chip organisation, he was impressed and
also opined that Ada "seems to have a sweet syntax".

During the same conversation he asked me to write some Ada code to
perform an exercise question he routinely sets when interviewing
programmer candidates. Thinking on the hoof I wrote some code that in
hind-sight was not good Ada and certainly not what I would have written
if I had time to think the matter through. I seemed to fall straight
into the trap that he had set. But I say "seemed" because as soon as he
pointed out the error, and we discussed it, it became obvious that the
trap was a situation that, in Ada, would possibly not have compiled and
if it had would certainly have had potential for raising a constraint
error. I refrained from pointing out that it could be argued that it was
a specification error in that the specification did not admit that the
difference between two indices is not an index, it is an offset.

--
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Wisdom in knowing not to put it in the fruit salad.