* Ada and GEDCOM
@ 2003-07-28 17:27 Wesley Groleau
From: Wesley Groleau @ 2003-07-28 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone aware of Ada code packages relating to GEDCOM?

(Since GEDCOM relates to genealogy, web searches find
thousands of girls named Ada in files that also mention
GEDCOM)

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM
@ 2003-07-28 21:02 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-07-28 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <c56cnTP4xv9EwbiiXTWJkA@gbronline.com>, Wesley Groleau <wesgroleau@myrealbox.com> writes:
> Anyone aware of Ada code packages relating to GEDCOM?

I have never encountered any, and I would have noticed.

> (Since GEDCOM relates to genealogy, web searches find
> thousands of girls named Ada in files that also mention
> GEDCOM)

My wife, the real genealogist around here, sends her sympathy.

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM
@ 2003-07-28 23:54 ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-07-28 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wesley Groleau wrote:

> (Since GEDCOM relates to genealogy, web searches find
> thousands of girls named Ada in files that also mention
> GEDCOM)

Maybe try turbo10.com if you haven't already?

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM
@ 2003-07-29  0:44   ` Bruce or Tracy Jacobs
From: Bruce or Tracy Jacobs @ 2003-07-29  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I actually starting writing some for my mother who was
needing to convert some genealogy records.  The code is
about 3/4 written.

What exactly did you have in mind?

Bruce

@ 2003-07-29  5:03     ` Wesley Groleau
From: Wesley Groleau @ 2003-07-29  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce or Tracy Jacobs wrote:

> I actually starting writing some for my mother who was
> needing to convert some genealogy records.  The code is
> about 3/4 written.

Just curious.  Of course there's tons in C and Java,
and I've found (and written a little) in perl.  Are you
considering "publishing" any you've written?  Want any
help with it?

I'm just not happy with the assumptions that all genealogy
programs force on us.  Even the most flexible and "open-minded"
(LifeLines) wasn't flexible enough for me, and so I now just
edit my GEDCOM with a plain text editor (pass it through LifeLines
or something solely for error checking).

So anything that I write or someone else writes to simplify
my work without tying my hands on some major point....

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM
@ 2003-07-29 11:04       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-07-29 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <q5KdnVjkX6aSnbuiU-KYgg@gbronline.com>, Wesley Groleau <wesgroleau@myrealbox.com> writes:
> Bruce or Tracy Jacobs wrote:
>
>> I actually starting writing some for my mother who was
>> needing to convert some genealogy records.  The code is
>> about 3/4 written.
>
> Just curious.  Of course there's tons in C and Java,
> and I've found (and written a little) in perl.  Are you
> considering "publishing" any you've written?  Want any
> help with it?
>
> I'm just not happy with the assumptions that all genealogy
> programs force on us.  Even the most flexible and "open-minded"
> (LifeLines) wasn't flexible enough for me, and so I now just
> edit my GEDCOM with a plain text editor (pass it through LifeLines
> or something solely for error checking).

You sound quite experienced.  What are the limitations of Reunion ?

> So anything that I write or someone else writes to simplify
> my work without tying my hands on some major point....

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM [off-topic]
@ 2003-07-29 13:27         ` Wesley Groleau
From: Wesley Groleau @ 2003-07-29 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>I'm just not happy with the assumptions that all genealogy
>>programs force on us.  Even the most flexible and "open-minded"
>>(LifeLines) wasn't flexible enough for me, and so I now just
>>edit my GEDCOM with a plain text editor (pass it through LifeLines
>>or something solely for error checking).
>
> You sound quite experienced.  What are the limitations of Reunion ?

OK, you got me.  I've tried most of the _free_ ones and
several of the not-free ones on Mac and Windows.  And I've
looked at reviews and manuals for others.

I have tried neither TMG nor Reunion.  From what I can rememberm
the best (if I had the money) might have been GenP from Australia
and then TMG.  Can't remember much about Reunion now.

Actually, even GEDCOM imposes more assumptions than I'd prefer.

The model of genealogy IMHO should be in events, relationships,
and evidence.  GEDCOM (and because of GEDCOM, genealogy programs)
makes the model individuals and families--and it defines a family
as exactly two persons of different genders with biological
children.  Adoption, foster care, relationships other than parent
have to be represented by clumsy kludges patched into the standard
after its basic structure was securely founded on FAM and INDI

But for sharing/publishing data, for the time being, we're stuck
with GEDCOM.

--
Wes Groleau
When all you have is a perl, everything looks like a string.

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM [off-topic]
@ 2003-07-29 14:36           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-07-29 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <VN6cnRkpc9yv67uiXTWJjQ@gbronline.com>, Wesley Groleau <wesgroleau@myrealbox.com> writes:

>>>I'm just not happy with the assumptions that all genealogy
>>>programs force on us.  Even the most flexible and "open-minded"
>>>(LifeLines) wasn't flexible enough for me, and so I now just
>>>edit my GEDCOM with a plain text editor (pass it through LifeLines
>>>or something solely for error checking).
>>
>> You sound quite experienced.  What are the limitations of Reunion ?
>
> OK, you got me.  I've tried most of the _free_ ones and
> several of the not-free ones on Mac and Windows.  And I've
> looked at reviews and manuals for others.
>
> I have tried neither TMG nor Reunion.  From what I can rememberm
> the best (if I had the money) might have been GenP from Australia
> and then TMG.  Can't remember much about Reunion now.

I noticed Reunion in the local Apple Store yesterday.

> Actually, even GEDCOM imposes more assumptions than I'd prefer.
>
> The model of genealogy IMHO should be in events, relationships,
> and evidence.  GEDCOM (and because of GEDCOM, genealogy programs)
> makes the model individuals and families--and it defines a family
> as exactly two persons of different genders with biological
> children.  Adoption, foster care, relationships other than parent
> have to be represented by clumsy kludges patched into the standard
> after its basic structure was securely founded on FAM and INDI

When my father's uncle died, the uncle's brother married the widow and
helped raise some large number of children.  Apparently it was quite
common back then.  Software likely was not specified to handle such
relations, but my wife drew the diagrams using a free-form tool.
That is harder to do when borrowing rocket engine software that
has different specifications.

> But for sharing/publishing data, for the time being, we're stuck
> with GEDCOM.

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM
@ 2003-07-29 23:22       ` Bruce or Tracy Jacobs
From: Bruce or Tracy Jacobs @ 2003-07-29 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't have any need for it anymore.  I will be happy
to give you what I have written, if you would like to
have it, along with my notes.

That project isn't interesting to me anymore, because
I have a couple of other ones I am wanting to complete.

Since my computer hard drive went south, I have to find
my backup copy of the code.  Send me your E-Mail address
to my E-Mail and remind me to send it to you.

Bruce

@ 2003-07-30 16:39         ` Isaac Gouy
From: Isaac Gouy @ 2003-07-30 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You sound quite experienced.  What are the limitations of Reunion ?
Needs a Mac

soc.genealogy.computing is another place to ask.

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM [off-topic]
@ 2003-07-30 16:47           ` Isaac Gouy
From: Isaac Gouy @ 2003-07-30 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The model of genealogy IMHO should be in events, relationships,
> and evidence.

Like Gentech GDM? http://www.gentech.org/gdm/

(Apologies - this is so off-topic, should go to soc.genealogy.computing)

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM
@ 2003-07-30 17:01           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-07-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ce7ef1c8.0307300839.77ec6d26@posting.google.com>, igouy@yahoo.com (Isaac Gouy) writes:
>> You sound quite experienced.  What are the limitations of Reunion ?

> Needs a Mac

Certainly that is not a problem for either Wes or me.

> soc.genealogy.computing is another place to ask.

My impression is that a lot of people there are unfamiliar with Macintosh.
That is why a non-endorsement from a confirmed Macintosh user like Wes was
so interesting to me.

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM [off-topic]
@ 2003-07-31  1:43             ` Wesley Groleau
From: Wesley Groleau @ 2003-07-31  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Isaac Gouy wrote:
>>The model of genealogy IMHO should be in events, relationships,
>>and evidence.
>
> Like Gentech GDM? http://www.gentech.org/gdm/

Right.

> (Apologies - this is so off-topic, should go to soc.genealogy.computing)

Right.  However, not very many people there
could answer whether there exists _Ada_ code
for dealing with GEDCOM.

* Re: Ada and GEDCOM
@ 2003-07-31 12:30 ` Me
From: Me @ 2003-07-31 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes,

Your E-Mail bounced back to me that you sent me, so I will reply in
public......
(I am posting from work...)

That sounds good to me.

You might want to see if there is a way to make it run faster
for larger files.  I was after convenience and working rather
than speed.

I hope you are able to get it to work.  Be sure to read the notes
at the top of the code.  Some tricky work for you to figure out.

Take care,
Bruce