From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Overloading and / or / = / etc etc
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:50:47 GMT
Date: 2001-06-13T20:50:47+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <9g8hj6$o3t$1@dns3.cae.ca>, Phil Foran says...
>Im wondering if there is a way to do PACKAGEX.= or PACKAGEY.or, when i try
>these i just get syntax errors, but im sure there must be a way to do it.

packagex."=" (Identifier_1, Identifier_2);

..to be exact.

Most people consider this unspeakably ugly. You may need it. Then again, you may
not. Where exactly is the ambiguity comming from? I don't suppose you could show
us the line with the syntax error and the two function definitions, could you?
We might be able to point out a better way out of the problem. One other
possibility would be to decrease the scope of your "use" or "use type"
statements so that only the appropriate one applies at each place. If you do
truly need the full dot notation, I'd say that those two packages should
probably be rethought.

---