* Re: Dear experts...
       [not found] <9aaps4$ju92@tech.port.ac.uk>
@ 2001-04-02 22:12 ` Phaedrus
From: Phaedrus @ 2001-04-02 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh boy...

Got yourself in over your head on some homework, didn't you?  Let me guess,
you took the homework specification and you sat down with a large caffeinated
beverage, and maybe some sugar pills to boot, and you just started hacking,
right?
Maybe just a little design, if any, and a whole lotta code.  Now you're down to
a day
or so to get it up and running, and it doesn't even compile.  *Heavy sigh*

So, what's wrong?  A lot, that's what.  Look, you need to take it slowly, and
not try
to pound out a lot of code all at once.  I said it before, and I'll probably say
it again,
you've got to get the structure working before you try to get fancy.  Got that?
DESIGN
BEFORE CODE.

Okay, specifics:  In procedure "Input_Details", why are you trying to treat
"A_Product"
as an array?  You keep trying to get something from A_Product(N).

In "Modify", you are trying to use "F" and "Barcode" without ever declaring
them.  Also,
you are trying to call "Find_Product" before it's ever declared.  And you are
trying to
call "Input_Details" without an argument.

In "Find_Product", what is "bin_2_dec"?

And etcetera.  What we have here is a failure to communicate.  One of your
teachers
didn't communicate the need for design, and you've built on his failure.  Don't
feel too
bad, this happens all the time out in the real world. (And it's a good thing,
too, I get paid
pretty well to clean up messes like these!)

Sorry, kiddo, I'm not gonna rewrite your code for you.  At least not without
payment.
Want to fix it?  Think spiral ("Design a little, code a little, test a little,
design a little...")
and start over.  You should have it written before bedtime.

Phaedrus

"WM" <wwminirl@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9aaps4$ju92@tech.port.ac.uk...
> I am working on a "Supermarket" program.
> Really a headache with it...
> Need some help from you, even very little help, such as "a wrong variable
> declared somewhere".
>
> Thank you very much...

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-04-02 22:12 UTC | newest]