From: Kilgallen@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen)
Subject: Re: Ada communicating with other programs
Date: 20 Nov 2001 10:55:45 -0600
Date: 2001-11-20T10:55:45-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <3BFA5654.519D8BC8@kfunigraz.ac.at>, Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at> writes:
> Actually I am learning a little bit Ada 95, therefore a few questions:
>
> a) Is it hard for Ada to communicate with other programs?

Ada has an optional appendix to cover distributed programming
between multiple processes running in Ada, but anything more
general (to communicate with programs in other languages)
requires direct use of operating system features.  Thus it
may require work to port it to other operating systems.

Using operating system features in Ada is typically straightforward
because compiler vendors understand that is an important capability.
For those operating systems whose interface is C-centric, the Ada
interface will typically follow the appendix about interfacing to C.