From: fsi-ssd!harryr@uunet.uu.net  (Harry Rockefeller)
Subject: Re: A very successful Ada marketing disaster in Boston
Date: 14 Sep 93 14:38:21 GMT	[thread overview]

jjm@swl.msd.ray.com (James Murphy {75881}) writes:

>willett@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (david.c.willett) writes:
>
>>Unfortunately, Greg's point is consistent with the annecdotal evidence I've
>>encountered.  How does it square with the rest of you? Are these attitudes
>>indeed "common"?
>
>   My single opinion is just that, my opinion.  I work with Ada daily and
>I find it has many advantages, ...
ditto.

>The lack of a "Microsoft Ada" or "Turbo Ada" is probably the
>greatest obstacle I see to Ada making it outside the non Mandated world.

At the last SIGAda conference I attended I spoke with someone who
works for a company in Tulsa, OK.  Since this company was the only one
represented which is not involved in government contract work I asked
the "Why Ada" question.  I got the known answers related to Ada's
strengths, but she proceeded to tell me that they are converting from
mostly microVax to PCs and she doubts the company will continue using
Ada because of the above reason.

I also spoke with a professor at Oklahoma State Univ.  He said that
the higher ups are pressuring him to drop the Ada requirement for
computer science students.  It appears some in authority feel students
are at a disadvantage if their C experience is not up to their peers
in graduate school.

>As for my job, I do enjoy working with Ada.
ditto.

Harry Rockefeller       FlightSafety International Simulation Systems Division
harryr@ssd.fsi.com      Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 74012    (918)251-0500 ext. 485

 We all have our opinions but TRUTH is not debatable.  Isaiah 55:8&9 the Bible