From: gijs@mbase97.xs4all.nl (Maarten Landzaat)
Subject: Re: Anyone built a debugger for Ada?
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 08:46:12 +0200
Date: 1994-11-14T08:46:12+02:00	[thread overview]

In <3a6mbe$clc@coyote.rain.org>, Henri Altarac writes:
>Maarten Landzaat (gijs@mbase97.xs4all.nl) wrote:
>: Hi,
>
>: I'm trying to build a simple debugger for Ada programs, because Adaprobe
>: (debugger from Alsys) does not work in our environment. I'll describe
>

>Can you elaborate. Why cannot you use AdaProbe? (and what did Alsys say ?)

Our target is a special 68000 board. I don't know the details, since
another team actually deals with this thing, but I understand that
the compiler or parts of it has been rewritten for this particular target.
Also, there is an Ada_Connect package that allows us to talk to the
68000 over the bus. The team told me that when this package  is used,
Adaprobe doesn't run.

Alsys says: "We'll fix it". It's been saying this for over a year now.
It's still not fixed, so in the meantime we're doing what we can.

>Your approch will probably work but it looks like your
>program will end up being quite large with all the add-on code and the
>execution will sure be slow if you trace every line.

I'm aware of that. But how do you 'step' with a real debugger? Doesn't
that also work with added code between every source line?

>Building the 'image for any type is going to be quite complex. I suggest
>you look into ASIS that brings you a higher level description of your
>application instead of lex/yacc.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

--
Maarten Landzaat (gijs@mbase97.xs4all.nl)
Amsterdam, Double bass, Fender Jazz Bass, Atari ST, Roland Sound Canvas.