From: gijs@mbase97.xs4all.nl (Maarten Landzaat)
Subject: Re: Anyone built a debugger for Ada?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 13:56:26 +0200
Date: 1994-11-17T13:56:26+02:00	[thread overview]

In <3aasnc$iog@coyote.rain.org>, Henri Altarac writes:

>: Also, there is an Ada_Connect package that allows us to talk to the
>: 68000 over the bus. The team told me that when this package  is used,
>: Adaprobe doesn't run.
>I don't know much about AdaConnect and its problems with AdaProbe.
>However, I believe there must be a customizable part of the AdaProbe
>kernel that runs on your target. In this part Alsys must have left
>some routines like write-to-host and read-from-host for the low level
>dialog between AdaProbe on the Host and its agent on the target.
>In those routines, there must be a way to redirect the AdaProbe protocol
>through a serial line. It is tricky but can certainly be done.

Communication with Alsys on this topic is cumbersome. And I don't think
we will get Adaprobe's source code easily.

>Another solution. If your bus is a VME bus, you can probably add another
>board in your rack like a MVME147 (a 68040, plenty of ram and an Ethernet
>controller).Then your AdaProbe io routines can be
>implemented by using AdaConnect to talk to an application on the MVME147
>which will just be a relay between your target and the Host AdaProbe (going
>through Ethernet).
>
>All that is not easy but if you have a good base software team, they
>can make it happen (eventually since Alsys is late in fixing the
>problems, you can ask them for some support/assistance).

The problem is that the team with enough knowledge of the system is to be
left alone, fixing other problems. That's why I'm going for the Ada-only
approach. I'm reasonably familiar with Ada.

>: I'm aware of that. But how do you 'step' with a real debugger? Doesn't
>: that also work with added code between every source line?
>
> (explanation deleted)

Thanks for the information. But you're right, I don't plan to do
'real' debugging.

--
Maarten Landzaat (gijs@mbase97.xs4all.nl)
Amsterdam, Double bass, Fender Jazz Bass, Atari ST, Roland Sound Canvas.