From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: What do I need to write a Windows program with Ada?
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:31:02 GMT
Date: 2003-03-17T18:31:02+00:00	[thread overview]

> -   Where do I get a binding for a windows API?
  There are several, with different aims and different coverage.  I'm one
of the authors of Claw - Class Library for Ada on Windows, and suggest you
take a look at the TriAda paper available at
www.rrsoftware.com/html/prodinf/triadapaper/triada.html
  Claw is a "thick" or "abstract" binding.  It's available, as source
code, in a GMGPL introductory version and in a supported $>0 version under
active development and with a printed manual as well as Windows Help and
html documentation.  It's regularly tested under Apex, Gnat, Janus, and
ObjectAda compilers.  The www.rrsoftware.com site has much more
information, including downloads and example programs.  www.adapower.com
also has a bunch of small programs based on the introductory version of
Claw, including a simple web server, SMTP (mail) and HTTP clients,
real-time graphics, ActiveX controls by using GWindows together with Claw,
a web crawler, and two examples - Minesweeper and Dining Philosophers - of
existing programs whose GUI was surgically replaced with Claw while
leaving the rest of the program intact.

>     Does the binding require some special libraries that are not generally
> available with Windows?
  All the bindings require Windows libraries which come with MS
development environments, but also come, I believe, with most Windows Ada
compilers.