* ada and multicore
@ 2005-04-01  1:54 Bini
From: Bini @ 2005-04-01  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5494714.html

What is a special benefit than c or c++ on multicore cpus?
Will Ada be a little more popular language?
I used Ada 3 years. and I like Ada than any programming languages...
I am not a native speaker of english. I am sorry...

* Re: ada and multicore
@ 2005-04-01  8:56 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2005-04-01  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What is a special benefit than c or c++ on multicore cpus?
  Ada has robust multitasking built in, which makes it simpler and more
natural to write programs that take advantage of multiple processors.
Ada programmers are thus also more likely to be comfortable with writing
for multitasking.
  In another thread here, some Ada versions of a simple word counting
benchmark were compared to C versions.  But a multitasking Ada version,
a simple modification of the straightforward single tasking version, was
shown to run about 50% faster on a dual CPU system.

* Re: ada and multicore
@ 2005-04-01 13:19   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2005-04-01 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Of course, the caveat has to be that the compiler and possibly the
underlying OS (if there is one - the RTK if not) has to have adequate
support for multi-threaded applications or you're not going to realize a
performance advantage. Naturally, this is also true for any other
language that has some kind of multi-threading capability.

If one is truly interested in getting the advantages Ada can offer in
terms of performance via multitasking, be sure to do adequate research
up front and make sure you REALLY understand tasking & its possible
implications. I've seen programs that have numerous tasks in them
designed by people who probably didn't really understand what they were
doing and they don't get a performance gain - or they take a performance
hit.

Check the compiler & OS first. Start with *simple* uses of multitasking.
Learn and understand what it does before trying to use it in critical
applications.

MDC

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>>What is a special benefit than c or c++ on multicore cpus?
>
>   Ada has robust multitasking built in, which makes it simpler and more
> natural to write programs that take advantage of multiple processors.
> Ada programmers are thus also more likely to be comfortable with writing
> for multitasking.
>   In another thread here, some Ada versions of a simple word counting
> benchmark were compared to C versions.  But a multitasking Ada version,
> a simple modification of the straightforward single tasking version, was
> shown to run about 50% faster on a dual CPU system.

Marin David Condic
I work for: http://www.belcan.com/
My project is: http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm

Send Replies To: m   o   d   c @ a   m   o   g