From: nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com ()
Subject: Re: DEC Ada 3.4 on Tru64 5.1
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:47:15 GMT
Date: 2001-09-21T16:47:15+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3BAA98F1.E40E3694@NOSPAMcompaq.com>,
Charlie McCutcheon <charlie.mccutcheon@NOSPAMcompaq.com> writes:

|>No, sorry.  DEC Ada has known problems with Tru64 5.0 and beyond. Major
|>releases of the operating system tend to break the product.

my comment would be that you should emulate the OpenVMS commitment
that OS releases do not break user code - that would include an Ada
compiler; however given that the AdaRTL is (sort of) part of the OS
then it should have been fixed;

the brand new 5.1a release notes do mention that the AdaRTL is
scheduled for removal - but even then it says "in a future release";

|>I did testing suggesting that it works on the various Tru64 4.0 versions
|>(last 4.0G?), I'm not sure if they are still available.

I've got the releases but I also have a brand new DS20E running 5.1;
which is what I want to run on both my Tru64 machines;

|>On top of that, DEC Ada for Tru64 is no longer supported, it was retired
|>over a year ago.(Compaq Ada is supported on OpenVMS VAX and Alpha however.)

we have it and we still like it;
[personally speaking] we would have preferred a DEC/CPQ Ada95 compiler -
however that is an old story about a business decision;

|>For Ada use on Tru64, we recommend an Ada 95 vendor, such as ACT/GNAT or
|>Rational.
|>
|>Charlie

yes; we just didn't realize that retirement also meant that the OS
would so quickly break the compiler and render the license useless;

--bn (Bart Nickerson)
nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com
(206) 662-0183