From: Peter Chapin <PChapin@vtc.vsc.edu>
Subject: Re: A way to do a huge Ada promotion
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:24:37 -0400
Date: 2014-05-27T10:24:37-04:00	[thread overview]

On 2014-05-27 09:16, Bill Findlay wrote:

> On http://portonvictor.org  you offer these links:
>
>> My math blog
>> My software/programming blog
>> My religious blog
>
> The third directly leads to a page containing this:
>
> "Homosexuality is certainly a sin or a pathology."
>
> Attitudes like this are a mortal danger to millions around the world,
> subject to the risks of oppression, lynching and even judicial murder.
>
> By fostering such attitudes you help to increase that risk.
>
> I will not accept your using comp.lang.ada for that purpose.

I actually don't think the original poster was using comp.lang.ada to
promote his views about homosexuality. The original post was on topic
for this group and it only included a link, in the signature of the
message, to the poster's home page. It is normal for personal home pages
to include a wide range of information about the page's author. In this
case the material on Porton's religious and political views was
separated from the material on software (as far as I could see).

While I disagree with Porton's attitude about homosexuality I don't
think it's reasonable to say that he's using comp.lang.ada to push that
attitude.

It would be different if the URL in question was an Ada vendor URL or
was highlighted in the post, or if the material on homosexuality was
included on his Ada pages or mentioned in the original posting. None of
that was true, however. He just happens to be a homophobic guy who uses
Ada. I'm sure he's not the only one.

Peter