From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Porting GNAT to Debian Hurd
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:53:41 GMT
Date: 2001-06-15T13:53:41+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3B296913.1F13E65D@engineer.com>, B. Douglas Hilton says...

>Has anybody successfully ported GNAT to any strange platforms?

That depends on what you consider strange. :-)

>Hurd, a somewhat "bleeding-edge" operating system could probably
>benefit from having some particularly pesky apps rewritten in Ada,
>although thick bindings to mach.h, and /include/hurd seems to be
>a particularly formidable task.

One of my occasional daydreams involves an OS getting "taken over" by Ada as
more and more of its apps are written using it. That would lead to
device-drivers, which would eventually lead to Ada starting to seep into the
kernel sources. Finally the remainder of the kernel would just get rewritten in
Ada to make things more consistent (and maintainable).

Hurd's at a good place for such a takeover, but I don't think Ada is yet. We
just don't quite have the volunteer manpower.

---