* NetBeans and ADA?
@ 2002-02-28  7:21 Justin Cummings
From: Justin Cummings @ 2002-02-28  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

With the recent lack of activity, I thought this may provide a little spark
in the discussion...

The "NetBeans" development environment has proven to be stable, open-source,
multi-platform, highly-extensible, full-featured, standards-based,
widely-used, indefinately supported .. and free.. IDE/development studio.
This would seem like a natural progression from the basic text, GTK, or
TCL/TK cross-platform development tool-set; however, none to my knowledge
exists.

Why has an ADA language module not been produced (or even proposed) for
Netbeans?   Or is there one... open-source or not, which receives little
promotion or recognition?  If so where could I find information about it?

For a number of years a marriage between Java and Ada in application
development has been in place, thus the apparent 'lack of' an ADA module for
NetBeans is quite surprising to say the least.  Given the dwindling list of
vendors that will continue to develop and support ADA tools makes something
like this more and more appealing...the last release of Rational Apex was
two+ years ago?  Sun dropped support what, four to five years ago?  I'd like
to see more options available other than just GNAT...

NetBeans.org:  www.netbeans.org

J. Cummings

The views and opinions presented here do not represent the official views of
my employer, any organization named here, or elsewhere.

* Re: NetBeans and ADA?
@ 2002-03-07 13:13 Ingo Marks
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-03-07 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergey Koshcheyev <serko84@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to also offer my help, since I'm quite interested in Eclipse. I'm
> currently investigating it, but I'm not an experienced programmer and it's
> been a while since I looked at Java.
>
> Sergey.

Did you already take a look at JGNAT? You can compile ADA code into Java
bytecode with it, so you don't need to code in Java anymore.

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/compiler/gnat/distrib/jgnat/

Ingo.