From: Brad Moore <brad.moore@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: ANN: Storage pool for Ada 2005 with bindings to Apache Runtime Pools library
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:25:53 -0600
Date: 2011-03-24T23:25:53-06:00	[thread overview]

On 24/03/2011 3:25 PM, Brad Moore wrote:
> I actually set the number of workers to 5, which was a bit surprising to
> me. I believe there are 9 iterations, which is why the number
> of workers doesnt come out to an even number. On my system, an AMD
> Quadcore, 5 workers gave me the best time. I was thinking 9 would
> have been the best number.

Actually, thinking about it some more, it makes sense to me that 5
workers would be the best choice for 9 iterations and 4 processors.

At t=0, 5 workers should proceed at the same rate, (assuming that
processor affinity is not set on the tasks). The 5 workers should
migrate as needed between the 4 processors to ensure fair sharing
of the processing resources.

Four of the workers will be given two iterations, while one will be
given a single iteration.

The worker with a single iteration will finish first. At that time
the other workers should have roughly one full iteration left.
At that point there are four workers with even work loads, and
four processors.

The workers proceed until all the work is complete, and
all processors were fully loaded for the entire processing.

Brad