* x11/Motif bindings wanted
@ 1999-08-12  0:00 sejo1560
From: sejo1560 @ 1999-08-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am involved in a project that is required to port Ada code from Unix
to NT.

We are trying to find X11/Motif bindings that we could use on NT.
We are using Nutcracker to provide the X server and X11/Motif libraries.

What we have not yet found is a set of bindings that we can use.

The options we have are:

Port Rational binding,
Port Intermetric bindings,
Use XinAda
Generate C code from UIL,
Re write the GUI

We would prefer to get bindings that we can use under NT.

So far we have not been able to compile the Rational bindings,
we have managed to compile the Intermetrics bindings, but cannot get
them to link. We are missing the following symbols:
to_double
to_long
do_varargs

XinAda is an Option.

Generating C code from UIL is not an option we really want to take.

Re writing the GUI is also not an option we want to take.

We are prepared to investigate any avenue.

Regards

Sean Jorgensen-Day

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: x11/Motif bindings wanted
@ 1999-08-12  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-08-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7otacp$7iq$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, sejo1560@my-deja.com writes:
> Hi,
>
> I am involved in a project that is required to port Ada code from Unix
> to NT.
>
> We are trying to find X11/Motif bindings that we could use on NT.
> We are using Nutcracker to provide the X server and X11/Motif libraries.

Some years ago DEC released an Ada Motif bindings generator that at
least made it as far as the Walnut Creek CD-ROMs.  Someone outside
DEC found corrections were necessary on big-endian machines.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: x11/Motif bindings wanted
@ 1999-08-12  0:00 ` jerry
From: jerry @ 1999-08-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

sejo1560@my-deja.com wrote:

: we have managed to compile the Intermetrics bindings, but cannot get
: them to link. We are missing the following symbols:
: to_double
: to_long
: do_varargs

In the latest GNAT version of this binding which I have installed here
these functions are imported from C, and are defined in the file 'var.c'
in the Ada directory. You might want to check if this C file is compiled
and linked in.

The binding works fine, under Linux, here.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

* Re: x11/Motif bindings wanted
@ 1999-08-13  0:00   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1999-08-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

> In article <7otacp$7iq$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, sejo1560@my-deja.com writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am involved in a project that is required to port Ada code from Unix
> > to NT.
> >
> > We are trying to find X11/Motif bindings that we could use on NT.
> > We are using Nutcracker to provide the X server and X11/Motif libraries.
>
> Some years ago DEC released an Ada Motif bindings generator that at
> least made it as far as the Walnut Creek CD-ROMs.  Someone outside
> DEC found corrections were necessary on big-endian machines.

We are presently using these bindings, adjusted (as Larry says) for
big-endian machines.

We're using GNAT mainly, though old SunAda and DEC OSF Ada are
nominally supported.

If you're interested, I can check with my masters whether we can
release the work back to the public (the DEC team concerned no longer
exists, AFAIK).

The DEC original is on the PAL at ase01_01/cardcat/MOTIFDEC.htm
(try ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/ase/ as a start)

--
Simon Wright                        Work Email: simon.j.wright@gecm.com
Alenia Marconi Systems                         Voice: +44(0)1705-701778

* Re: x11/Motif bindings wanted
@ 1999-08-15  0:00     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-08-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <x7v1zd7zd4w.fsf@pogner.moho>, Simon Wright <simon@pogner.demon.co.uk> writes:
> kilgallen@eisner.decus.org (Larry Kilgallen) writes:
>
>> In article <7otacp$7iq$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, sejo1560@my-deja.com writes:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am involved in a project that is required to port Ada code from Unix
>> > to NT.
>> >
>> > We are trying to find X11/Motif bindings that we could use on NT.
>> > We are using Nutcracker to provide the X server and X11/Motif libraries.
>>
>> Some years ago DEC released an Ada Motif bindings generator that at
>> least made it as far as the Walnut Creek CD-ROMs.  Someone outside
>> DEC found corrections were necessary on big-endian machines.
>
> We are presently using these bindings, adjusted (as Larry says) for
> big-endian machines.
>
> We're using GNAT mainly, though old SunAda and DEC OSF Ada are
> nominally supported.
>
> If you're interested, I can check with my masters whether we can
> release the work back to the public (the DEC team concerned no longer
> exists, AFAIK).

_I_ would certainly be interested in the changes for big endian support.
Perhaps it would even be possible to characterize them (your management
permitting, of course) without providing source.

Larry Kilgallen