From: nickerson@pundit.ds.boeing.com ()
Subject: Re: Gnat on OpenVMS
Date: 1999/05/21
Date: 1999-05-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <7hshfq$5tc$1@front1.grolier.fr>,
"Thierry Lelegard" <lelegard@club-internet.fr> writes:

|>My company is currently moving its products from the DEC Ada
|>compiler to GNAT on OpenVMS Alpha (then, we plan to port to
|>other operating systems, using GNAT as a common compiler).
|>
|>The GNAT port to OpenVMS was performed by ACT, with fundings
|>from Digital after they decided to drop support for DEC Ada.
|>GNAT does not produce code which is compatible with the OpenVMS
|>debugger and a special port of GDB was also performed.

at one time I tried using the VMS debugger on GNAT executables;
simply link with the /debug flag; then modify the executable
to be in debug by using one of the various tools that can do
that; I have not done this lately but will be trying it again
soon to see if it works;

|>We have an incredibly hard time with GNAT on OpenVMS and,
|>especially, with GDB which can hardly be considered as a
|>working tool on this operating system.

totally agree; GDB described as a "full featured debugger" bring
to mind the word impostor;

|>Is there anyone in the world working with GNAT / GDB on
|>OpenVMS Alpha? We are very interested in sharing experiments
|>and usage advices.

I am using it on an experimental basis but really have nothing
beyond several rants to share right now;

|>Thanks to everyone in advance.
|>Thierry Lelegard, Paris, France
|>E-mail: lelegard@club-internet.fr

--(bn) Bart Nickerson